NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Shares of Dollar Tree (DLTR) - Get Dollar Tree, Inc. Report are lower by -0.58% to $54.55 in pre-market trading after the discount chain was cut to "market perform" from "outperform" at BMO Capital, with a $59 price target, down from $69.
The firm cited the company's announced merger agreement with the "market perform" rated Family Dollar Stores (FDO) .
Separately, TheStreet Ratings team rates DOLLAR TREE INC as a Buy with a ratings score of B+. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:
"We rate DOLLAR TREE INC (DLTR) a BUY. This is driven by some important positives, which we believe should have a greater impact than any weaknesses, and should give investors a better performance opportunity than most stocks we cover. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, growth in earnings per share, increase in net income, notable return on equity and good cash flow from operations. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had lackluster performance in the stock itself."
Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- The revenue growth came in higher than the industry average of 6.8%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 7.2%. This growth in revenue appears to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, improving the earnings per share.
- DOLLAR TREE INC has improved earnings per share by 13.6% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. We feel that this trend should continue. During the past fiscal year, DOLLAR TREE INC increased its bottom line by earning $2.75 versus $2.70 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($3.14 versus $2.75).
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has exceeded that of the S&P 500 and greatly outperformed compared to the Multiline Retail industry average. The net income increased by 3.6% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, going from $133.50 million to $138.30 million.
- Current return on equity exceeded its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a clear sign of strength within the company. Compared to other companies in the Multiline Retail industry and the overall market, DOLLAR TREE INC's return on equity significantly exceeds that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly increased by 53.28% to $198.20 million when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, DOLLAR TREE INC has also vastly surpassed the industry average cash flow growth rate of -79.53%.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: DLTR Ratings Report