Putin spoke at a conference in St. Petersburg and said Yandex could require a media license to publish news on its site. He also said his nation should protect its information, as American technology dominates the tech market, according to Bloomberg.
The stock dropped 12.31% to $23.40 at 10:20 a.m. on Friday.
Separately, TheStreet Ratings team rates YANDEX NV as a "hold" with a ratings score of C. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:
"We rate YANDEX NV (YNDX) a HOLD. The primary factors that have impacted our rating are mixed - some indicating strength, some showing weaknesses, with little evidence to justify the expectation of either a positive or negative performance for this stock relative to most other stocks. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its robust revenue growth, growth in earnings per share and notable return on equity. However, as a counter to these strengths, we find that the company's profit margins have been poor overall."
Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- YNDX's revenue growth has slightly outpaced the industry average of 11.7%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 16.9%. This growth in revenue appears to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, improving the earnings per share.
- YANDEX NV has improved earnings per share by 7.4% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. We feel that this trend should continue. This trend suggests that the performance of the business is improving. During the past fiscal year, YANDEX NV increased its bottom line by earning $1.23 versus $0.80 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($44.09 versus $1.23).
- Net operating cash flow has increased to $141.57 million or 12.15% when compared to the same quarter last year. Despite an increase in cash flow, YANDEX NV's cash flow growth rate is still lower than the industry average growth rate of 22.18%.
- The gross profit margin for YANDEX NV is currently very high, coming in at 70.58%. Regardless of YNDX's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, YNDX's net profit margin of 27.35% compares favorably to the industry average.
- Investors have apparently begun to recognize positive factors similar to those we have mentioned in this report, including earnings growth. This has helped drive up the company's shares by a sharp 34.01% over the past year, a rise that has exceeded that of the S&P 500 Index. Looking ahead, however, we cannot assume that the stock's past performance is going to drive future results. Quite to the contrary, its sharp appreciation over the last year is one of the factors that should prompt investors to seek better opportunities elsewhere.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: YNDX Ratings Report
Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link.