NEW YORK (TheStreet) --Shares of Syngenta (SYT) are higher by 3.63% to $79 in midday trading on Tuesday, as the agricultural chemicals company's Chairman, Michel Demare, tells a Swiss newspaper that the company is in talks with several of its peers regarding a possible takeover and is keeping its options open.

On Monday it was reported by Bloomberg that Syngenta received an offer from ChemChina to acquire 70% of the company and the remaining 30% at a later time.

Speaking with Finanz und Wirtschaft, Demare said that Syngenta has not received a concrete takeover offer, Reuters reports.

Demare did tell the publication that Syngenta is in talks with ChemChina, Monsanto (MON) and others, but did not give further details.

"Given what shareholders expect for the next 12 months, going it alone is hardly possible," Demare said.

Syngenta's board is considering making its own acquisition, merging with a rival or selling the company, Demare continued, Reuters added. The chairman didn't specify to which option he was partial.

Image placeholder title

SYT

data by

YCharts