The bank started coverage of the grocery store operator with a "buy" rating and an $8 price target. Roundy's is in the process of tuning its store mix to increase sales without picking off traffic from its own branded products according to Bank of America's analysts.
Must read:Warren Buffett's 10 Favorite Stocks
TheStreet Ratings team rates ROUNDY'S INC as a Sell with a ratings score of D. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:
"We rate ROUNDY'S INC (RNDY) a SELL. This is driven by several weaknesses, which we believe should have a greater impact than any strengths, and could make it more difficult for investors to achieve positive results compared to most of the stocks we cover. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its generally high debt management risk, weak operating cash flow, generally disappointing historical performance in the stock itself and poor profit margins."
Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- The debt-to-equity ratio is very high at 3.28 and currently higher than the industry average, implying increased risk associated with the management of debt levels within the company. Along with this, the company manages to maintain a quick ratio of 0.36, which clearly demonstrates the inability to cover short-term cash needs.
- Net operating cash flow has decreased to $41.08 million or 28.37% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing the cash generation rate to the industry average, the firm's growth is significantly lower.
- RNDY has underperformed the S&P 500 Index, declining 7.19% from its price level of one year ago. The fact that the stock is now selling for less than others in its industry in relation to its current earnings is not reason enough to justify a buy rating at this time.
- The gross profit margin for ROUNDY'S INC is currently lower than what is desirable, coming in at 28.60%. Regardless of RNDY's low profit margin, it has managed to increase from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of 0.86% trails the industry average.
- ROUNDY'S INC reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past year. However, we anticipate underperformance relative to this pattern in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, ROUNDY'S INC turned its bottom line around by earning $0.76 versus -$1.54 in the prior year. For the next year, the market is expecting a contraction of 53.9% in earnings ($0.35 versus $0.76).
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: RNDY Ratings Report
Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link.