NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Plug Power (PLUG) - Get Plug Power Inc. Report rose sharply Thursday afternoon amid rumors that FedEx (FDX) - Get FedEx Corporation Report could buy fuel cells from the company.
Reports about Plug Power and FedEx go back to January 7, when the fuel cell company said in a press release it would "develop hydrogen fuel cell range extenders for 20 FedEx Express electric delivery trucks, allowing FedEx Express to nearly double the amount of territory the vehicles can cover with one charge."
Such vehicles can only travel approximately 80 miles with current cells, so Plug Power's technology could pay off if it lives up to the aforementioned standards.
Must Read: Warren Buffett's 25 Favorite Stocks
The stock was up 4.41% to $4.73 at 2:41 p.m.
Separately, TheStreet Ratings team rates PLUG POWER INC as a "sell" with a ratings score of D. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:
"We rate PLUG POWER INC (PLUG) a SELL. This is driven by a few notable weaknesses, which we believe should have a greater impact than any strengths, and could make it more difficult for investors to achieve positive results compared to most of the stocks we cover. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its deteriorating net income and weak operating cash flow."
Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Electrical Equipment industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 784.5% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from -$8.58 million to -$75.86 million.
- Net operating cash flow has decreased to -$8.89 million or 49.83% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing the cash generation rate to the industry average, the firm's growth is significantly lower.
- The company's current return on equity greatly increased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of significant strength within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Electrical Equipment industry and the overall market, PLUG POWER INC's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- PLUG, with its decline in revenue, slightly underperformed the industry average of 6.4%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues fell by 13.5%. Weakness in the company's revenue seems to have hurt the bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.
- PLUG POWER INC has experienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, PLUG POWER INC continued to lose money by earning -$0.79 versus -$0.94 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings (-$0.11 versus -$0.79).
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: PLUG Ratings Report
Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link.