NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Shares of Lululemon Athletica Inc. (LULU) - Get Lululemon Athletica Inc (LULU) Report are up 2.71% to $41.32 in very heavy trading volume as speculation swirls that company founder Dennis "Chip" Wilson will move to sell the yoga wear company.
Earlier today, it was reported that Wilson is working with Goldman Sachs (GS) - Get Goldman Sachs Group, Inc. (GS) Report as he considers options for shaking up the company's board and gaining more influence over operations, the Wall Street Journal said.
TheStreet Ratings team rates LULULEMON ATHLETICA INC as a Hold with a ratings score of C. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:
"We rate LULULEMON ATHLETICA INC (LULU) a HOLD. The primary factors that have impacted our rating are mixed some indicating strength, some showing weaknesses, with little evidence to justify the expectation of either a positive or negative performance for this stock relative to most other stocks. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures and good cash flow from operations. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including deteriorating net income, disappointing return on equity and a generally disappointing performance in the stock itself."
Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- Despite its growing revenue, the company underperformed as compared with the industry average of 14.8%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 11.2%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- LULU has no debt to speak of therefore resulting in a debt-to-equity ratio of zero, which we consider to be a relatively favorable sign. Along with this, the company maintains a quick ratio of 7.20, which clearly demonstrates the ability to cover short-term cash needs.
- The gross profit margin for LULULEMON ATHLETICA INC is rather high; currently it is at 54.13%. Regardless of LULU's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of 4.93% trails the industry average.
- Despite any intermediate fluctuations, we have only bad news to report on this stock's performance over the last year: it has tumbled by 37.95%, worse than the S&P 500's performance. Consistent with the plunge in the stock price, the company's earnings per share are down 59.37% compared to the year-earlier quarter. Turning toward the future, the fact that the stock has come down in price over the past year should not necessarily be interpreted as a negative; it could be one of the factors that may help make the stock attractive down the road. Right now, however, we believe that it is too soon to buy.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Textiles, Apparel & Luxury Goods industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 59.9% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $47.28 million to $18.98 million.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: LULU Ratings Report