NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Shares of eLong Inc. (LONG) are down -4.90% to $20.56 after Expedia(EXPE) - Get Report called rumors that it would acquire the company "inaccurate" and said it "remains a long-term investor in eLong and supports its drive to become a leading Chinese travel site."
Separately, TheStreet Ratings team rates ELONG INC as a Hold with a ratings score of C-. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:
"We rate ELONG INC (LONG) a HOLD. The primary factors that have impacted our rating are mixed, some indicating strength, some showing weaknesses, with little evidence to justify the expectation of either a positive or negative performance for this stock relative to most other stocks. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures and solid stock price performance. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including deteriorating net income, disappointing return on equity and feeble growth in the company's earnings per share."
Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- LONG's revenue growth has slightly outpaced the industry average of 4.3%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 13.1%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- LONG has no debt to speak of therefore resulting in a debt-to-equity ratio of zero, which we consider to be a relatively favorable sign. Along with this, the company maintains a quick ratio of 3.21, which clearly demonstrates the ability to cover short-term cash needs.
- The gross profit margin for ELONG INC is currently very high, coming in at 76.56%. Regardless of LONG's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, LONG's net profit margin of -14.37% significantly underperformed when compared to the industry average.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Internet & Catalog Retail industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 1375.8% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $0.45 million to -$5.69 million.
- Return on equity has greatly decreased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of major weakness within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Internet & Catalog Retail industry and the overall market, ELONG INC's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: LONG Ratings Report