Editors Note: This story has been updated to reflect BGC Partners' third quarter distributable earnings revenue and pre-tax distributable earnings guidance as being above the level previously listed in this article. The company expects revenue to be above the $410 million - $435 million range that was previously reported.
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- BGC Partners(BGCP) - Get Report shares are up 3.9% to $7.44 in after-hours trading on Monday after the global brokerage company updated its third quarter revenue and distributable earnings guidance.
The company expects third quarter distributable earnings revenue to be above the $410 million to $435 million guidance it had previously estimated. The firm also now expects pre-tax distributable earnings to be above the high end of its previous guidance of between $52 million and $60 million. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.
TheStreet Ratings team rates BGC PARTNERS INC as a Hold with a ratings score of C+. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:
"We rate BGC PARTNERS INC (BGCP) a HOLD. The primary factors that have impacted our rating are mixed - some indicating strength, some showing weaknesses, with little evidence to justify the expectation of either a positive or negative performance for this stock relative to most other stocks. Among the primary strengths of the company is its solid stock price performance. At the same time, however, we also find weaknesses including deteriorating net income, disappointing return on equity and poor profit margins."
Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- BGC PARTNERS INC has experienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, BGC PARTNERS INC increased its bottom line by earning $0.35 versus $0.16 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($0.57 versus $0.35).
- BGCP, with its decline in revenue, slightly underperformed the industry average of 2.6%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly dropped by 9.2%. Weakness in the company's revenue seems to have hurt the bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.
- Compared to its closing price of one year ago, BGCP's share price has jumped by 27.06%, exceeding the performance of the broader market during that same time frame. Looking ahead, however, we cannot assume that the stock's past performance is going to drive future results. Quite to the contrary, its sharp appreciation over the last year is one of the factors that should prompt investors to seek better opportunities elsewhere.
- The company's current return on equity has slightly decreased from the same quarter one year prior. This implies a minor weakness in the organization. When compared to other companies in the Capital Markets industry and the overall market, BGC PARTNERS INC's return on equity is below that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Capital Markets industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 77.9% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $34.47 million to $7.60 million.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: BGCP Ratings Report