NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Shares of Alpha Pro Tech (APT) - Get Report rose more than 20% to a 52-week high of $4.72 in afternoon trading Thursday after the first U.S. patient diagnosed with the Ebola virus died in the Dallas area on Wednesday.
Alpha Pro Tech makes protective equipment such as surgical masks and other infection control products that healthcare workers can use to prevent contracting the virus. The company announced in September the suits would be available worldwide.
The climb marks the third consecutive day of gains for Alpha Pro Tech, and shares have more than doubled year to date.
More than 12 million shares had changed hands as of 3:40 p.m., which eclipsed the average volume of 272,631.
Separately, TheStreet Ratings team rates ALPHA PRO TECH LTD as a "buy" with a ratings score of B. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:
"We rate ALPHA PRO TECH LTD (APT) a BUY. This is driven by a number of strengths, which we believe should have a greater impact than any weaknesses, and should give investors a better performance opportunity than most stocks we cover. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures, solid stock price performance, impressive record of earnings per share growth and compelling growth in net income. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company shows weak operating cash flow."
Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- The revenue growth came in higher than the industry average of 2.7%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 9.8%. This growth in revenue appears to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, improving the earnings per share.
- APT has no debt to speak of therefore resulting in a debt-to-equity ratio of zero, which we consider to be a relatively favorable sign. Along with this, the company maintains a quick ratio of 12.72, which clearly demonstrates the ability to cover short-term cash needs.
- Powered by its strong earnings growth of 150.00% and other important driving factors, this stock has surged by 130.26% over the past year, outperforming the rise in the S&P 500 Index during the same period. Regarding the stock's future course, although almost any stock can fall in a broad market decline, APT should continue to move higher despite the fact that it has already enjoyed a very nice gain in the past year.
- ALPHA PRO TECH LTD reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. During the past fiscal year, ALPHA PRO TECH LTD increased its bottom line by earning $0.11 versus $0.05 in the prior year.
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Building Products industry. The net income increased by 88.4% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $0.48 million to $0.90 million.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: APT Ratings Report