Analysts are expecting the parent company of the off-price apparel and home furnishings retailers T.J MAXX and Marshals to post a year-over-year increase in earnings per share and revenue for the most recent quarter.
TJX Companies has been forecast to report quarterly earnings of 90 cents per share on revenue of $8.26 billion for the 2014 fourth quarter.
Exclusive Report:Jim Cramer's Best Stocks for 2015
Last year TJX Companies said its adjusted net income was 81 cents per diluted share on net sales of $7.8 billion for the 2013 fourth quarter.
For the fiscal 2014 full year TJX is anticipated to report earnings of $3.13 per share on revenue of $29.03 billion. For fiscal 2013 TJX said adjusted earnings were $2.83 per diluted share on $27.4 billion in net sales.
Shares of TJX Companies are lower by 0.31% to $68.19 in mid-morning trading on Tuesday.
Separately, TheStreet Ratings team rates TJX COMPANIES INC as a Buy with a ratings score of A+. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:
"We rate TJX COMPANIES INC (TJX) a BUY. This is based on the convergence of positive investment measures, which should help this stock outperform the majority of stocks that we rate. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, increase in stock price during the past year, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures and notable return on equity. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had sub par growth in net income."
Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- Despite its growing revenue, the company underperformed as compared with the industry average of 7.4%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 5.5%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- TJX COMPANIES INC' earnings per share from the most recent quarter came in slightly below the year earlier quarter. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, TJX COMPANIES INC increased its bottom line by earning $2.95 versus $2.55 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($3.13 versus $2.95).
- Compared to where it was a year ago today, the stock is now trading at a higher level, regardless of the company's weak earnings results. Turning our attention to the future direction of the stock, it goes without saying that even the best stocks can fall in an overall down market. However, in any other environment, this stock still has good upside potential despite the fact that it has already risen in the past year.
- The current debt-to-equity ratio, 0.37, is low and is below the industry average, implying that there has been successful management of debt levels. Despite the fact that TJX's debt-to-equity ratio is low, the quick ratio, which is currently 0.61, displays a potential problem in covering short-term cash needs.
- The company's current return on equity has slightly decreased from the same quarter one year prior. This implies a minor weakness in the organization. Compared to other companies in the Specialty Retail industry and the overall market, TJX COMPANIES INC's return on equity significantly exceeds that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: TJX Ratings Report