NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Finish Line Inc. (FINL) is scheduled to release its fiscal 2016 first quarter earnings results before the market open on Friday morning. Analysts are expecting the athletic shoe and sports apparel retailer to post a year-over-year decline in earnings per share but a rise in revenue for the most recent quarter.
Finish Line has been forecast to report earnings of 24 cents per share on revenue of $430.84 million for the quarter ended May 2015.
Last year, the company said it earned 28 cents per diluted share on a non-GAAP basis for the fiscal 2015 first quarter. Net sales for the year ago period were $406.5 million.
Shares of Finish Line are up by 0.67% to $27.23 in mid-morning trading on Thursday.
Separately, TheStreet Ratings team rates FINISH LINE INC as a Buy with a ratings score of A-. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:
"We rate FINISH LINE INC (FINL) a BUY. This is based on the convergence of positive investment measures, which should help this stock outperform the majority of stocks that we rate. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, attractive valuation levels, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures, expanding profit margins and notable return on equity. We feel its strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had sub par growth in net income."
Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- Despite its growing revenue, the company underperformed as compared with the industry average of 9.2%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 6.3%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displaying stagnant earnings per share.
- FINISH LINE INC reported flat earnings per share in the most recent quarter. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, FINISH LINE INC increased its bottom line by earning $1.71 versus $1.56 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($1.75 versus $1.71).
- FINL has no debt to speak of therefore resulting in a debt-to-equity ratio of zero, which we consider to be a relatively favorable sign. Although the company had a strong debt-to-equity ratio, its quick ratio of 0.89 is somewhat weak and could be cause for future problems.
- 35.93% is the gross profit margin for FINISH LINE INC which we consider to be strong. Regardless of FINL's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of 7.40% trails the industry average.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: FINL Ratings Report