Analysts are expecting the Jackson, MS-based producer and marketer of shell eggs to post a year over year rise in both earnings per share and revenue for the most recent quarter.
Cal-Maine Foods has been forecast by analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters to report earnings of $3.14 per share on revenue of $599.94 million for the fiscal first quarter.
Last year, the company said its net income was $1.14 per diluted share on net sales of $356.9 million for the fiscal first quarter of 2015.
Shares of Cal-Maine Foods closed lower by 1.31% to $57.14 on Thursday afternoon.
Separately, TheStreet Ratings team rates CAL-MAINE FOODS INC as a Buy with a ratings score of A. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:
"We rate CAL-MAINE FOODS INC (CALM) a BUY. This is based on the convergence of positive investment measures, which should help this stock outperform the majority of stocks that we rate. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures, notable return on equity, good cash flow from operations and solid stock price performance. We feel its strengths outweigh the fact that the company shows low profit margins."
Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- The revenue growth came in higher than the industry average of 8.4%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 8.4%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- CALM's debt-to-equity ratio is very low at 0.07 and is currently below that of the industry average, implying that there has been very successful management of debt levels. Along with this, the company maintains a quick ratio of 2.73, which clearly demonstrates the ability to cover short-term cash needs.
- The return on equity has improved slightly when compared to the same quarter one year prior. This can be construed as a modest strength in the organization. Compared to other companies in the Food Products industry and the overall market, CAL-MAINE FOODS INC's return on equity exceeds that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- Powered by its strong earnings growth of 46.15% and other important driving factors, this stock has surged by 29.13% over the past year, outperforming the rise in the S&P 500 Index during the same period. Regarding the stock's future course, although almost any stock can fall in a broad market decline, CALM should continue to move higher despite the fact that it has already enjoyed a very nice gain in the past year.
- CAL-MAINE FOODS INC has improved earnings per share by 46.1% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. We feel that this trend should continue. During the past fiscal year, CAL-MAINE FOODS INC increased its bottom line by earning $3.33 versus $2.26 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($11.69 versus $3.33).
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: CALM