Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link.
Trade-Ideas LLC identified
) as a "barbarian at the gate" (strong stocks crossing above resistance with today's range greater than 200%) candidate. In addition to specific proprietary factors, Trade-Ideas identified Jos A Bank Clothiers as such a stock due to the following factors:
- JOSB has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $33.1 million.
- JOSB has traded 525,264 shares today.
- JOSB traded in a range 247.2% of the normal price range with a price range of $0.80.
- JOSB traded above its daily resistance level (quality: 532 days, meaning that the stock is crossing a resistance level set by the last 532 calendar days. The resistance price is defined by the Price - $0.01 at the time of the signal).
Stocks matching the 'Barbarian at the Gate' criteria are worthwhile stocks to watch for a variety of factors including historical back testing and volatility. Trade-Ideas targets these opportunities because the stock is exhibiting an unusual behavior while displaying positive price action. In this case, the stock crossed an important inflection point; namely, 'resistance' while at the same time the range of the stock's movement in price is more than twice its normal size. This large range foreshadows a possible continuation as the stock moves higher.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in JOSB with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for JOSB NOW at Trade-Ideas
More details on JOSB:
Jos. A. Bank Clothiers, Inc. operates as designer, manufacturer, retailer, and direct marketer of men's tailored and casual clothing, and accessories in the United States. JOSB has a PE ratio of 28.2. Currently there are no analysts that rate Jos A Bank Clothiers a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and 3 rate it a hold.
The average volume for Jos A Bank Clothiers has been 812,000 shares per day over the past 30 days. Jos A Bank Clothiers has a market cap of $1.8 billion and is part of the services sector and retail industry. The stock has a beta of 0.96 and a short float of 26.6% with 10.79 days to cover. Shares are up 17% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Thursday.
rates Jos A Bank Clothiers as a
. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures, solid stock price performance and expanding profit margins. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had sub par growth in net income.
Highlights from the ratings report include:
- JOSB's revenue growth has slightly outpaced the industry average of 3.4%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 0.4%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- JOSB has no debt to speak of therefore resulting in a debt-to-equity ratio of zero, which we consider to be a relatively favorable sign. Along with this, the company maintains a quick ratio of 3.08, which clearly demonstrates the ability to cover short-term cash needs.
- Compared to its closing price of one year ago, JOSB's share price has jumped by 38.80%, exceeding the performance of the broader market during that same time frame. Looking ahead, the stock's sharp rise over the last year has already helped drive it to a level which is relatively expensive compared to the rest of its industry. We feel, however, that other strengths this company displays justify these higher price levels.
- The gross profit margin for JOS A BANK CLOTHIERS INC is rather high; currently it is at 57.67%. Regardless of JOSB's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, JOSB's net profit margin of 7.68% compares favorably to the industry average.
- JOS A BANK CLOTHIERS INC' earnings per share from the most recent quarter came in slightly below the year earlier quarter. The company has suffered a declining pattern of earnings per share over the past two years. However, we anticipate this trend to reverse over the coming year. During the past fiscal year, JOS A BANK CLOTHIERS INC reported lower earnings of $2.27 versus $2.84 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($3.00 versus $2.27).
- You can view the full Jos A Bank Clothiers Ratings Report.