Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link.
Trade-Ideas LLC identified
) as a "barbarian at the gate" (strong stocks crossing above resistance with today's range greater than 200%) candidate. In addition to specific proprietary factors, Trade-Ideas identified CIT Group as such a stock due to the following factors:
- CIT has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $54.9 million.
- CIT has traded 151,331 shares today.
- CIT traded in a range 239.9% of the normal price range with a price range of $2.43.
- CIT traded above its daily resistance level (quality: 34 days, meaning that the stock is crossing a resistance level set by the last 34 calendar days. The resistance price is defined by the Price - $0.01 at the time of the signal).
Stocks matching the 'Barbarian at the Gate' criteria are worthwhile stocks to watch for a variety of factors including historical back testing and volatility. Trade-Ideas targets these opportunities because the stock is exhibiting an unusual behavior while displaying positive price action. In this case, the stock crossed an important inflection point; namely, 'resistance' while at the same time the range of the stock's movement in price is more than twice its normal size. This large range foreshadows a possible continuation as the stock moves higher.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in CIT with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for CIT NOW at Trade-Ideas
More details on CIT:
CIT Group Inc. operates as the holding company for CIT bank that provides commercial financing and leasing products; and a suite of savings options in the United States. The stock currently has a dividend yield of 1.3%. CIT has a PE ratio of 14.0. Currently there are 9 analysts that rate CIT Group a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and 3 rate it a hold.
The average volume for CIT Group has been 1.2 million shares per day over the past 30 days. CIT Group has a market cap of $8.7 billion and is part of the financial sector and financial services industry. The stock has a beta of 1.45 and a short float of 1.6% with 2.63 days to cover. Shares are down 10.6% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Monday.
rates CIT Group as a
. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, impressive record of earnings per share growth and compelling growth in net income. However, as a counter to these strengths, we find that the stock has had a generally disappointing performance in the past year.
Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The revenue growth came in higher than the industry average of 9.3%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 3.0%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- CIT GROUP INC has improved earnings per share by 17.2% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. We feel that this trend should continue. This trend suggests that the performance of the business is improving. During the past fiscal year, CIT GROUP INC turned its bottom line around by earning $3.26 versus -$2.96 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($3.68 versus $3.26).
- The return on equity has improved slightly when compared to the same quarter one year prior. This can be construed as a modest strength in the organization. When compared to other companies in the Commercial Banks industry and the overall market, CIT GROUP INC's return on equity is below that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- CIT has underperformed the S&P 500 Index, declining 5.78% from its price level of one year ago. Turning toward the future, the fact that the stock has come down in price over the past year should not necessarily be interpreted as a negative; it could be one of the factors that may help make the stock attractive down the road. Right now, however, we believe that it is too soon to buy.
- You can view the full CIT Group Ratings Report.