Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link.
Trade-Ideas LLC identified
) as a pre-market leader candidate. In addition to specific proprietary factors, Trade-Ideas identified Valero Energy Corporation as such a stock due to the following factors:
- VLO has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $368.1 million.
- VLO traded 18,436 shares today in the pre-market hours as of 8:37 AM.
- VLO is up 2.4% today from Friday's close.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in VLO with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for VLO NOW at Trade-Ideas
More details on VLO:
Valero Energy Corporation operates as an independent petroleum refining and marketing company. The company operates through three segments: Refining, Ethanol, and Retail. The stock currently has a dividend yield of 2.6%. VLO has a PE ratio of 6.8. Currently there are 9 analysts that rate Valero Energy Corporation a buy, 1 analyst rates it a sell, and 4 rate it a hold.
The average volume for Valero Energy Corporation has been 6.9 million shares per day over the past 30 days. Valero Energy has a market cap of $18.6 billion and is part of the basic materials sector and energy industry. The stock has a beta of 2.59 and a short float of 3.3% with 2.01 days to cover. Shares are up 0.6% year to date as of the close of trading on Friday.
rates Valero Energy Corporation as a
. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its solid stock price performance, attractive valuation levels, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures and notable return on equity. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had sub par growth in net income.
Highlights from the ratings report include:
- Compared to its closing price of one year ago, VLO's share price has jumped by 38.75%, exceeding the performance of the broader market during that same time frame. Regarding the stock's future course, although almost any stock can fall in a broad market decline, VLO should continue to move higher despite the fact that it has already enjoyed a very nice gain in the past year.
- The current debt-to-equity ratio, 0.37, is low and is below the industry average, implying that there has been successful management of debt levels. Although the company had a strong debt-to-equity ratio, its quick ratio of 0.83 is somewhat weak and could be cause for future problems.
- Current return on equity exceeded its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a clear sign of strength within the company. Compared to other companies in the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry and the overall market on the basis of return on equity, VALERO ENERGY CORP has underperformed in comparison with the industry average, but has exceeded that of the S&P 500.
- Regardless of the drop in revenue, the company managed to outperform against the industry average of 9.1%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly dropped by 1.1%. Weakness in the company's revenue seems to have hurt the bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.
- You can view the full Valero Energy Corporation Ratings Report.