Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link.
Trade-Ideas LLC identified
) as an unusual social activity candidate. In addition to specific proprietary factors, Trade-Ideas identified Spectra Energy as such a stock due to the following factors:
- SE has 12x the normal benchmarked social activity for this time of the day compared to its average of 0.94 mentions/day.
- SE has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $184.0 million.
Identifying stocks with 'Unusual Social Activity' tends to be a valuable process for traders looking to capitalize on the 'talk of the town' stocks that are basking in far more attention from the StockTwits financial community than normal. Good press? Bad press? It ultimately doesn't matter if it's good or bad if you know how to trade around the sentiment. Certain hedge funds use such data for their proprietary algorithms and it is not uncommon to see shared social sentiment play itself out in a stock's price trend.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in SE with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for SE NOW at Trade-Ideas
More details on SE:
Spectra Energy Corp, through its subsidiaries, owns and operates a portfolio of natural gas-related energy assets in North America. The stock currently has a dividend yield of 4.4%. SE has a PE ratio of 22.6. Currently there are 3 analysts that rate Spectra Energy a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and 7 rate it a hold.
The average volume for Spectra Energy has been 4.3 million shares per day over the past 30 days. Spectra Energy has a market cap of $22.6 billion and is part of the basic materials sector and energy industry. The stock has a beta of 0.63 and a short float of 2.6% with 3.62 days to cover. Shares are down 7.6% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Tuesday.
rates Spectra Energy as a
. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, expanding profit margins, good cash flow from operations and notable return on equity. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had sub par growth in net income.
Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The revenue growth came in higher than the industry average of 6.6%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 5.5%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- 48.30% is the gross profit margin for SPECTRA ENERGY CORP which we consider to be strong. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of 16.65% is above that of the industry average.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly increased by 68.50% to $337.00 million when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, SPECTRA ENERGY CORP has also vastly surpassed the industry average cash flow growth rate of -1.95%.
- The return on equity has improved slightly when compared to the same quarter one year prior. This can be construed as a modest strength in the organization. When compared to other companies in the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry and the overall market, SPECTRA ENERGY CORP's return on equity is below that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- SPECTRA ENERGY CORP's earnings per share declined by 23.1% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. We feel it is likely to report a decline in earnings in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, SPECTRA ENERGY CORP increased its bottom line by earning $1.55 versus $1.43 in the prior year. For the next year, the market is expecting a contraction of 1.3% in earnings ($1.53 versus $1.55).
- You can view the full Spectra Energy Ratings Report.