Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer.
Trade-Ideas LLC identified
) as an unusual social activity candidate. In addition to specific proprietary factors, Trade-Ideas identified Simon Property Group as such a stock due to the following factors:
- SPG has 10x the normal benchmarked social activity for this time of the day compared to its average of 2.48 mentions/day.
- SPG has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $234.5 million.
Identifying stocks with 'Unusual Social Activity' tends to be a valuable process for traders looking to capitalize on the 'talk of the town' stocks that are basking in far more attention from the StockTwits financial community than normal. Good press? Bad press? It ultimately doesn't matter if it's good or bad if you know how to trade around the sentiment. Certain hedge funds use such data for their proprietary algorithms and it is not uncommon to see shared social sentiment play itself out in a stock's price trend.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in SPG with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for SPG NOW at Trade-Ideas
More details on SPG:
Simon Property Group, Inc. is an equity real estate investment trust. The firm invests in the real estate markets across the globe. It engages in investment, ownership, management, and development of properties. The stock currently has a dividend yield of 3.1%. SPG has a PE ratio of 38. Currently there are 15 analysts that rate Simon Property Group a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and 1 rates it a hold.
The average volume for Simon Property Group has been 1.4 million shares per day over the past 30 days. Simon Property Group has a market cap of $54.9 billion and is part of the financial sector and real estate industry. The stock has a beta of 0.22 and a short float of 1.9% with 3.76 days to cover. Shares are down 3.8% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Tuesday.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: See inside Jim Cramer's multi-million dollar charitable trust portfolio to see the stocks he thinks could be potential winners. Click here to see his holdings for 14-days FREE.
rates Simon Property Group as a
. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its solid stock price performance, impressive record of earnings per share growth, increase in net income, revenue growth and notable return on equity. Although the company may harbor some minor weaknesses, we feel they are unlikely to have a significant impact on results.
Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The stock has risen over the past year as investors have generally rewarded the company for its earnings growth and other positive factors like the ones we have cited in this report. Turning our attention to the future direction of the stock, it goes without saying that even the best stocks can fall in an overall down market. However, in any other environment, this stock still has good upside potential despite the fact that it has already risen in the past year.
- SIMON PROPERTY GROUP INC has improved earnings per share by 17.2% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past year. We feel that this trend should continue. During the past fiscal year, SIMON PROPERTY GROUP INC increased its bottom line by earning $4.44 versus $3.72 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($5.20 versus $4.44).
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has greatly exceeded that of the S&P 500, but is less than that of the Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs) industry average. The net income increased by 6.0% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, going from $342.48 million to $363.01 million.
- Despite its growing revenue, the company underperformed as compared with the industry average of 8.4%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 5.5%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- Current return on equity exceeded its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a clear sign of strength within the company. Compared to other companies in the Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs) industry and the overall market, SIMON PROPERTY GROUP INC's return on equity significantly exceeds that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- You can view the full Simon Property Group Ratings Report.