Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link.
Trade-Ideas LLC identified
) as an unusual social activity candidate. In addition to specific proprietary factors, Trade-Ideas identified IntercontinentalExchange Group as such a stock due to the following factors:
- ICE has 13x the normal benchmarked social activity for this time of the day compared to its average of 1.36 mentions/day.
- ICE has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $169.4 million.
Identifying stocks with 'Unusual Social Activity' tends to be a valuable process for traders looking to capitalize on the 'talk of the town' stocks that are basking in far more attention from the StockTwits financial community than normal. Good press? Bad press? It ultimately doesn't matter if it's good or bad if you know how to trade around the sentiment. Certain hedge funds use such data for their proprietary algorithms and it is not uncommon to see shared social sentiment play itself out in a stock's price trend.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in ICE with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for ICE NOW at Trade-Ideas
More details on ICE:
IntercontinentalExchange Group, Inc. operates a network of regulated exchanges and clearing houses for financial and commodity markets in the United States, the United Kingdom, Continental Europe, and Canada. Currently there are 11 analysts that rate IntercontinentalExchange Group a buy, 1 analyst rates it a sell, and none rate it a hold.
The average volume for IntercontinentalExchange Group has been 969,900 shares per day over the past 30 days. IntercontinentalExchange Group has a market cap of $24.7 billion and is part of the financial sector and financial services industry. The stock has a beta of 0.95 and a short float of 1.5% with 1.35 days to cover.
rates IntercontinentalExchange Group as a
. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its robust revenue growth, reasonable valuation levels and solid stock price performance. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including deteriorating net income, disappointing return on equity and generally higher debt management risk.
Highlights from the ratings report include:
- ICE's very impressive revenue growth greatly exceeded the industry average of 13.4%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues leaped by 89.4%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- Compared to its closing price of one year ago, ICE's share price has jumped by 34.81%, exceeding the performance of the broader market during that same time frame. Regarding the stock's future course, our hold rating indicates that we do not recommend additional investment in this stock despite its gains in the past year.
- Net operating cash flow has slightly increased to $173.17 million or 8.06% when compared to the same quarter last year. Despite an increase in cash flow, INTERCONTINENTALEXCHANGE GRP's average is still marginally south of the industry average growth rate of 17.66%.
- Return on equity has greatly decreased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of major weakness within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Diversified Financial Services industry and the overall market on the basis of return on equity, INTERCONTINENTALEXCHANGE GRP underperformed against that of the industry average and is significantly less than that of the S&P 500.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Diversified Financial Services industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 236.0% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $129.47 million to -$176.08 million.
- You can view the full IntercontinentalExchange Group Ratings Report.