Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link.
Trade-Ideas LLC identified
) as a "dead cat bounce" (down big yesterday but up big today) candidate. In addition to specific proprietary factors, Trade-Ideas identified Silver Standard Resources as such a stock due to the following factors:
- SSRI has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $15.6 million.
- SSRI has traded 947,536 shares today.
- SSRI is up 3.1% today.
- SSRI was down 5.8% yesterday.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in SSRI with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for SSRI NOW at Trade-Ideas
More details on SSRI:
Silver Standard Resources Inc. engages in the acquisition, exploration, development, and operation of silver-dominant mineral properties principally in the Americas. It primarily explores for silver, zinc, gold, and lead deposits. Currently there is 1 analyst that rates Silver Standard Resources a buy, 1 analyst rates it a sell, and 3 rate it a hold.
The average volume for Silver Standard Resources has been 1.3 million shares per day over the past 30 days. Silver Standard has a market cap of $778.5 million and is part of the basic materials sector and metals & mining industry. Shares are down 39.5% year to date as of the close of trading on Wednesday.
rates Silver Standard Resources as a
. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its feeble growth in its earnings per share, deteriorating net income, disappointing return on equity, weak operating cash flow and generally disappointing historical performance in the stock itself.
Highlights from the ratings report include:
- SILVER STANDARD RES INC has exprienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. The company has reported a trend of declining earnings per share over the past two years. During the past fiscal year, SILVER STANDARD RES INC reported lower earnings of $0.69 versus $0.99 in the prior year.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Metals & Mining industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 773.8% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $35.02 million to -$235.95 million.
- Return on equity has greatly decreased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of major weakness within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Metals & Mining industry and the overall market, SILVER STANDARD RES INC's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly decreased to $5.25 million or 54.93% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing the cash generation rate to the industry average, the firm's growth is significantly lower.
- Despite any intermediate fluctuations, we have only bad news to report on this stock's performance over the last year: it has tumbled by 33.98%, worse than the S&P 500's performance. Consistent with the plunge in the stock price, the company's earnings per share are down 779.06% compared to the year-earlier quarter. Naturally, the overall market trend is bound to be a significant factor. However, in one sense, the stock's sharp decline last year is a positive for future investors, making it cheaper (in proportion to its earnings over the past year) than most other stocks in its industry. But due to other concerns, we feel the stock is still not a good buy right now.
- You can view the full Silver Standard Resources Ratings Report.