Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link.
Trade-Ideas LLC identified
) as a strong on high relative volume candidate. In addition to specific proprietary factors, Trade-Ideas identified Monster Worldwide as such a stock due to the following factors:
- MWW has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $10.3 million.
- MWW has traded 560,165 shares today.
- MWW is trading at 10.76 times the normal volume for the stock at this time of day.
- MWW is trading at a new high 7.02% above yesterday's close.
'Strong on High Relative Volume' stocks are worth watching because major volume moves tend to indicate underlying activity such as M&A events, material stock news, analyst upgrades, insider buying, buying from 'superinvestors,' or that hedge funds and momentum traders are piling into a stock ahead of a catalyst. Regardless of the impetus behind the price and volume action, when a stock moves with strength and volume it can indicate the start of a new trend on which early investors can capitalize. In the event of a well-timed trading opportunity, combining technical indicators with fundamental trends and a disciplined trading methodology should help you take the first steps towards investment success.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in MWW with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for MWW NOW at Trade-Ideas
More details on MWW:
Monster Worldwide, Inc., together with its subsidiaries, provides online and mobile employment solutions worldwide. The company operates in three segments: Careers-North America, Careers-International, and Internet Advertising & Fees. Currently there are no analysts that rate Monster Worldwide a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and 4 rate it a hold.
The average volume for Monster Worldwide has been 1.3 million shares per day over the past 30 days. Monster Worldwide has a market cap of $399.2 million and is part of the services sector and diversified services industry. The stock has a beta of 2.21 and a short float of 25.4% with 10.49 days to cover. Shares are up 11% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Tuesday.
rates Monster Worldwide as a
. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its unimpressive growth in net income, disappointing return on equity, poor profit margins, generally disappointing historical performance in the stock itself and feeble growth in its earnings per share.
Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Internet Software & Services industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 114.8% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $11.27 million to -$1.67 million.
- The company's current return on equity has slightly decreased from the same quarter one year prior. This implies a minor weakness in the organization. Compared to other companies in the Internet Software & Services industry and the overall market, MONSTER WORLDWIDE INC's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- The gross profit margin for MONSTER WORLDWIDE INC is currently extremely low, coming in at 8.58%. It has decreased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of -0.87% is significantly below that of the industry average.
- Despite any intermediate fluctuations, we have only bad news to report on this stock's performance over the last year: it has tumbled by 25.30%, worse than the S&P 500's performance. Consistent with the plunge in the stock price, the company's earnings per share are down 125.00% compared to the year-earlier quarter. Naturally, the overall market trend is bound to be a significant factor. However, in one sense, the stock's sharp decline last year is a positive for future investors, making it cheaper (in proportion to its earnings over the past year) than most other stocks in its industry. But due to other concerns, we feel the stock is still not a good buy right now.
- MONSTER WORLDWIDE INC has experienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. The company has reported a trend of declining earnings per share over the past two years. However, the consensus estimate suggests that this trend should reverse in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, MONSTER WORLDWIDE INC reported lower earnings of $0.01 versus $0.51 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($0.27 versus $0.01).
- You can view the full Monster Worldwide Ratings Report.