Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link.
Trade-Ideas LLC identified
) as a new lifetime high candidate. In addition to specific proprietary factors, Trade-Ideas identified Minerals Technologies as such a stock due to the following factors:
- MTX has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $7.7 million.
- MTX has traded 150,522 shares today.
- MTX is trading at a new lifetime high.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in MTX with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for MTX NOW at Trade-Ideas
More details on MTX:
Minerals Technologies Inc., a resource and technology based company, develops, produces and markets a range of specialty mineral, mineral-based, and synthetic mineral products; and supporting systems and services worldwide. It operates in two segments, Specialty Minerals and Refractories. The stock currently has a dividend yield of 0.4%. MTX has a PE ratio of 22.3. Currently there is 1 analyst that rates Minerals Technologies a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and 4 rate it a hold.
The average volume for Minerals Technologies has been 129,100 shares per day over the past 30 days. has a market cap of $1.7 billion and is part of the basic materials sector and chemicals industry. The stock has a beta of 1.19 and a short float of 1.5% with 3.20 days to cover. Shares are up 22% year to date as of the close of trading on Friday.
rates Minerals Technologies as a
. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its solid stock price performance, growth in earnings per share, revenue growth, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures and notable return on equity. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had sub par growth in net income.
Highlights from the ratings report include:
- Despite its growing revenue, the company underperformed as compared with the industry average of 3.4%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 2.2%. This growth in revenue appears to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, improving the earnings per share.
- MTX's debt-to-equity ratio is very low at 0.11 and is currently below that of the industry average, implying that there has been very successful management of debt levels. Along with this, the company maintains a quick ratio of 2.65, which clearly demonstrates the ability to cover short-term cash needs.
- Investors have apparently begun to recognize positive factors similar to those we have mentioned in this report, including earnings growth. This has helped drive up the company's shares by a sharp 44.36% over the past year, a rise that has exceeded that of the S&P 500 Index. Regarding the stock's future course, although almost any stock can fall in a broad market decline, MTX should continue to move higher despite the fact that it has already enjoyed a very nice gain in the past year.
- MINERALS TECHNOLOGIES INC has improved earnings per share by 10.5% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. We feel that this trend should continue. During the past fiscal year, MINERALS TECHNOLOGIES INC increased its bottom line by earning $2.12 versus $1.87 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($2.25 versus $2.12).
- The return on equity has improved slightly when compared to the same quarter one year prior. This can be construed as a modest strength in the organization. In comparison to the other companies in the Chemicals industry and the overall market, MINERALS TECHNOLOGIES INC's return on equity is significantly below that of the industry average and is below that of the S&P 500.
- You can view the full Minerals Technologies Ratings Report.