Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link.
Trade-Ideas LLC identified
) as an unusual social activity candidate. In addition to specific proprietary factors, Trade-Ideas identified MetLife as such a stock due to the following factors:
- MET has 13x the normal benchmarked social activity for this time of the day compared to its average of 0.50 mentions/day.
- MET has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $247.8 million.
Identifying stocks with 'Unusual Social Activity' tends to be a valuable process for traders looking to capitalize on the 'talk of the town' stocks that are basking in far more attention from the StockTwits financial community than normal. Good press? Bad press? It ultimately doesn't matter if it's good or bad if you know how to trade around the sentiment. Certain hedge funds use such data for their proprietary algorithms and it is not uncommon to see shared social sentiment play itself out in a stock's price trend.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in MET with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for MET NOW at Trade-Ideas
More details on MET:
MetLife, Inc., through its subsidiaries, provides insurance, annuities, and employee benefit programs in the United States, Japan, Latin America, the Middle East, Asia, and Europe. The stock currently has a dividend yield of 2.3%. MET has a PE ratio of 107.1. Currently there are 15 analysts that rate MetLife a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and 2 rate it a hold.
The average volume for MetLife has been 6.4 million shares per day over the past 30 days. MetLife has a market cap of $51.7 billion and is part of the financial sector and insurance industry. The stock has a beta of 2.30 and a short float of 2.7% with 4.74 days to cover. Shares are up 43% year to date as of the close of trading on Friday.
rates MetLife as a
. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its solid stock price performance and largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had sub par growth in net income.
Highlights from the ratings report include:
- Compared to its closing price of one year ago, MET's share price has jumped by 39.12%, exceeding the performance of the broader market during that same time frame. Looking ahead, the stock's sharp rise over the last year has already helped drive it to a level which is relatively expensive compared to the rest of its industry. We feel, however, that other strengths this company displays justify these higher price levels.
- METLIFE INC has experienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. The company has suffered a declining pattern of earnings per share over the past two years. However, we anticipate this trend to reverse over the coming year. During the past fiscal year, METLIFE INC reported lower earnings of $1.09 versus $5.76 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($5.65 versus $1.09).
- MET, with its decline in revenue, slightly underperformed the industry average of 9.0%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues fell by 14.6%. Weakness in the company's revenue seems to have hurt the bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.
- Despite currently having a low debt-to-equity ratio of 0.43, it is higher than that of the industry average, inferring that management of debt levels may need to be evaluated further.
- Net operating cash flow has decreased to $4,581.00 million or 27.79% when compared to the same quarter last year. Despite a decrease in cash flow METLIFE INC is still fairing well by exceeding its industry average cash flow growth rate of -39.58%.
- You can view the full MetLife Ratings Report.