Trade-Ideas LLC identified
) as a post-market leader candidate. In addition to specific proprietary factors, Trade-Ideas identified Medivation as such a stock due to the following factors:
- MDVN has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $76.4 million.
- MDVN is up 5.5% today from today's close.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in MDVN with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for MDVN NOW at Trade-Ideas
More details on MDVN:
Medivation, Inc., a biopharmaceutical company, focuses on the development and commercialization of novel therapies to treat serious diseases in the United States. It offers XTANDI for the treatment of post-chemotherapy metastatic castration-resistant prostate cancer (mCRPC) patients. MDVN has a PE ratio of 19. Currently there are 9 analysts that rate Medivation a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and 4 rate it a hold.
The average volume for Medivation has been 2.1 million shares per day over the past 30 days. Medivation has a market cap of $5.1 billion and is part of the health care sector and drugs industry. The stock has a beta of 1.06 and a short float of 2.8% with 2.03 days to cover. Shares are down 33.7% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Wednesday.
rates Medivation as a
. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its robust revenue growth, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures and reasonable valuation levels. However, as a counter to these strengths, we find that the stock has had a generally disappointing performance in the past year.
Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The revenue growth came in higher than the industry average of 6.8%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 30.0%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- MDVN's debt-to-equity ratio is very low at 0.14 and is currently below that of the industry average, implying that there has been very successful management of debt levels. Along with this, the company maintains a quick ratio of 3.53, which clearly demonstrates the ability to cover short-term cash needs.
- The gross profit margin for MEDIVATION INC is rather high; currently it is at 54.72%. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Regardless of the strong results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of 30.50% trails the industry average.
- Current return on equity is lower than its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a clear sign of weakness within the company. Compared to other companies in the Biotechnology industry and the overall market, MEDIVATION INC's return on equity significantly exceeds that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- Looking at the price performance of MDVN's shares over the past 12 months, there is not much good news to report: the stock is down 40.33%, and it has underformed the S&P 500 Index. In addition, the company's earnings per share are lower today than the year-earlier quarter. Turning toward the future, the fact that the stock has come down in price over the past year should not necessarily be interpreted as a negative; it could be one of the factors that may help make the stock attractive down the road. Right now, however, we believe that it is too soon to buy.
- You can view the full Medivation Ratings Report.