Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link.
Trade-Ideas LLC identified
) as a "dead cat bounce" (down big yesterday but up big today) candidate. In addition to specific proprietary factors, Trade-Ideas identified Fuelcell Energy as such a stock due to the following factors:
- FCEL has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $70.1 million.
- FCEL has traded 957,287 shares today.
- FCEL is up 4.4% today.
- FCEL was down 5.4% yesterday.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in FCEL with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for FCEL NOW at Trade-Ideas
More details on FCEL:
FuelCell Energy, Inc., together with its subsidiaries, designs, manufactures, sells, installs, operates, and services stationary fuel cell power plants for distributed baseload power generation. Currently there is 1 analyst that rates Fuelcell Energy a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and 2 rate it a hold.
The average volume for Fuelcell Energy has been 23.0 million shares per day over the past 30 days. Fuelcell Energy has a market cap of $609.4 million and is part of the utilities sector and utilities industry. The stock has a beta of 1.89 and a short float of 10.3% with 0.82 days to cover. Shares are up 71.6% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Thursday.
rates Fuelcell Energy as a
. Among the areas we feel are negative, one of the most important has been poor profit margins.
Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The gross profit margin for FUELCELL ENERGY INC is currently extremely low, coming in at 4.95%. Regardless of FCEL's low profit margin, it has managed to increase from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, FCEL's net profit margin of -23.86% significantly underperformed when compared to the industry average.
- The company's current return on equity greatly increased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of significant strength within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Electrical Equipment industry and the overall market, FUELCELL ENERGY INC's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- The company, on the basis of net income growth from the same quarter one year ago, has underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Electrical Equipment industry average. The net income increased by 9.2% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, going from -$11.68 million to -$10.60 million.
- Investors have driven up the company's shares by 157.44% over the past year, a rise that has exceeded that of the S&P 500 Index. Regarding the future course of this stock, we feel that the risks involved in investing in FCEL do not compensate for any future upside potential, despite the fact that it has seen nice gains over the past 12 months.
- FUELCELL ENERGY INC has improved earnings per share by 14.3% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past year. We feel that this trend should continue. This trend suggests that the performance of the business is improving. During the past fiscal year, FUELCELL ENERGY INC continued to lose money by earning -$0.20 versus -$0.24 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings (-$0.12 versus -$0.20).
- You can view the full Fuelcell Energy Ratings Report.