Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link.
Trade-Ideas LLC identified
) as a strong on high relative volume candidate. In addition to specific proprietary factors, Trade-Ideas identified Delta Air Lines as such a stock due to the following factors:
- DAL has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $206.9 million.
- DAL has traded 1.2 million shares today.
- DAL is trading at 2.71 times the normal volume for the stock at this time of day.
- DAL is trading at a new high 3.03% above yesterday's close.
'Strong on High Relative Volume' stocks are worth watching because major volume moves tend to indicate underlying activity such as M&A events, material stock news, analyst upgrades, insider buying, buying from 'superinvestors,' or that hedge funds and momentum traders are piling into a stock ahead of a catalyst. Regardless of the impetus behind the price and volume action, when a stock moves with strength and volume it can indicate the start of a new trend on which early investors can capitalize. In the event of a well-timed trading opportunity, combining technical indicators with fundamental trends and a disciplined trading methodology should help you take the first steps towards investment success.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in DAL with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for DAL NOW at Trade-Ideas
More details on DAL:
Delta Air Lines, Inc. provides scheduled air transportation for passengers and cargo in the United States and internationally. Its route network is centered around a system of hub and international gateway airports in Amsterdam, Atlanta, Cincinnati, Detroit, Memphis, Minneapolis-St. The stock currently has a dividend yield of 1.2%. DAL has a PE ratio of 19.3. Currently there are 7 analysts that rate Delta Air Lines a buy, 1 analyst rates it a sell, and 1 rates it a hold.
The average volume for Delta Air Lines has been 10.2 million shares per day over the past 30 days. Delta Air Lines has a market cap of $17.5 billion and is part of the services sector and transportation industry. The stock has a beta of 0.83 and a short float of 2.2% with 1.81 days to cover. Shares are up 72.3% year to date as of the close of trading on Wednesday.
rates Delta Air Lines as a
. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its solid stock price performance, revenue growth and good cash flow from operations. However, as a counter to these strengths, we find that the company's profit margins have been poor overall.
Highlights from the ratings report include:
- Compared to its closing price of one year ago, DAL's share price has jumped by 100.97%, exceeding the performance of the broader market during that same time frame. Regarding the stock's future course, our hold rating indicates that we do not recommend additional investment in this stock despite its gains in the past year.
- Despite its growing revenue, the company underperformed as compared with the industry average of 10.3%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 1.0%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- DELTA AIR LINES INC has exprienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, DELTA AIR LINES INC increased its bottom line by earning $1.19 versus $1.00 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($2.63 versus $1.19).
- The change in net income from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the Airlines industry average, but is less than that of the S&P 500. The net income has significantly decreased by 94.3% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $124.00 million to $7.00 million.
- The gross profit margin for DELTA AIR LINES INC is rather low; currently it is at 16.96%. It has decreased from the same quarter the previous year.
- You can view the full Delta Air Lines Ratings Report.