Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer.
Trade-Ideas LLC identified
) as a pre-market mover with heavy volume candidate. In addition to specific proprietary factors, Trade-Ideas identified Cara Therapeutics as such a stock due to the following factors:
- CARA has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $13.9 million.
- CARA traded 132,921 shares today in the pre-market hours as of 9:05 AM, representing 18.2% of its average daily volume.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in CARA with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for CARA NOW at Trade-Ideas
More details on CARA:
Cara Therapeutics, Inc., a clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company, focuses on developing and commercializing chemical entities designed to alleviate pain by selectively targeting kappa opioid receptors. Currently there are 4 analysts that rate Cara Therapeutics a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and none rate it a hold.
The average volume for Cara Therapeutics has been 301,400 shares per day over the past 30 days. Cara has a market cap of $451.5 million and is part of the health care sector and drugs industry. Shares are up 93.7% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Tuesday.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: See inside Jim Cramer's multi-million dollar charitable trust portfolio to see the stocks he thinks could be potential winners. Click here to see his holdings for 14-days FREE.
rates Cara Therapeutics as a
. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its feeble growth in its earnings per share, deteriorating net income and weak operating cash flow.
Highlights from the ratings report include:
- CARA THERAPEUTICS INC's earnings per share declined by 40.0% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. Earnings per share have declined over the last year. We anticipate that this should continue in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, CARA THERAPEUTICS INC reported poor results of -$0.78 versus -$0.10 in the prior year. For the next year, the market is expecting a contraction of 35.9% in earnings (-$1.06 versus -$0.78).
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Biotechnology industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 38.6% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from -$3.38 million to -$4.69 million.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly decreased to -$5.24 million or 69.55% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing to the industry average, the firm's growth rate is much lower.
- Compared to other companies in the Biotechnology industry and the overall market, CARA THERAPEUTICS INC's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- Compared to its closing price of one year ago, CARA's share price has jumped by 39.63%, exceeding the performance of the broader market during that same time frame. Regarding the future course of this stock, we feel that the risks involved in investing in CARA do not compensate for any future upside potential, despite the fact that it has seen nice gains over the past 12 months.
- You can view the full Cara Therapeutics Ratings Report.