Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link.
Trade-Ideas LLC identified
) as a post-market leader candidate. In addition to specific proprietary factors, Trade-Ideas identified American Electric Power as such a stock due to the following factors:
- AEP has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $153.2 million.
- AEP is up 2.3% today from today's close.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in AEP with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for AEP NOW at Trade-Ideas
More details on AEP:
American Electric Power Company, Inc., a public utility holding company, is engaged in the generation, transmission, and distribution of electricity for sale to retail and wholesale customers. The stock currently has a dividend yield of 3.9%. AEP has a PE ratio of 14.9. Currently there are 8 analysts that rate American Electric Power a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and 6 rate it a hold.
The average volume for American Electric Power has been 3.1 million shares per day over the past 30 days. American Electric has a market cap of $24.9 billion and is part of the utilities sector and utilities industry. The stock has a beta of 0.20 and a short float of 1.2% with 2.09 days to cover. Shares are up 10.2% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Thursday.
rates American Electric Power as a
. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, impressive record of earnings per share growth, compelling growth in net income, good cash flow from operations and increase in stock price during the past year. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had generally high debt management risk by most measures that we evaluated.
Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The revenue growth came in higher than the industry average of 9.2%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 21.5%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- AMERICAN ELECTRIC POWER CO reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past year. We feel that this trend should continue. During the past fiscal year, AMERICAN ELECTRIC POWER CO increased its bottom line by earning $3.04 versus $2.60 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($3.46 versus $3.04).
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Electric Utilities industry. The net income increased by 54.3% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $363.00 million to $560.00 million.
- Net operating cash flow has increased to $1,133.00 million or 49.86% when compared to the same quarter last year. The firm also exceeded the industry average cash flow growth rate of 18.42%.
- Compared to where it was 12 months ago, the stock is up, but it has so far lagged the appreciation in the S&P 500. Turning our attention to the future direction of the stock, it goes without saying that even the best stocks can fall in an overall down market. However, in any other environment, this stock still has good upside potential despite the fact that it has already risen in the past year.
- You can view the full American Electric Power Ratings Report.