Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link.
Trade-Ideas LLC identified
) as a "water-logged and getting wetter" (weak stocks crossing below support with today's range greater than 200%) candidate. In addition to specific proprietary factors, Trade-Ideas identified Seattle Genetics as such a stock due to the following factors:
- SGEN has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $36.4 million.
- SGEN has traded 112,264 shares today.
- SGEN traded in a range 208.8% of the normal price range with a price range of $3.61.
- SGEN traded below its daily resistance level (quality: 3 days, meaning that the stock is crossing a resistance level set by the last 3 calendar days. The resistance price is defined by the Price - $0.01 at the time of the signal).
Stocks matching the 'Water-Logged and Getting Wetter' criteria are worthwhile stocks to watch for a variety of factors including historical back testing and volatility. Trade-Ideas targets these opportunities because the stock is exhibiting an unusual behavior while displaying negative price action. In this case, the stock crossed an important inflection point; namely, "support" while at the same time the range of the stock's movement in price is twice its normal size. This large range foreshadows a possible continuation as the stock moves lower.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in SGEN with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for SGEN NOW at Trade-Ideas
More details on SGEN:
Seattle Genetics, Inc., a biotechnology company, develops and commercializes antibody-based therapies for the treatment of cancer. Currently there are 5 analysts that rate Seattle Genetics a buy, 2 analysts rate it a sell, and 3 rate it a hold.
The average volume for Seattle Genetics has been 1.1 million shares per day over the past 30 days. Seattle has a market cap of $4.6 billion and is part of the health care sector and drugs industry. The stock has a beta of 2.47 and a short float of 24.1% with 16.88 days to cover. Shares are down 6.4% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Monday.
rates Seattle Genetics as a
. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its disappointing return on equity, weak operating cash flow, generally disappointing historical performance in the stock itself and feeble growth in its earnings per share.
Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The company's current return on equity has slightly decreased from the same quarter one year prior. This implies a minor weakness in the organization. Compared to other companies in the Biotechnology industry and the overall market, SEATTLE GENETICS INC's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly decreased to -$11.79 million or 139.53% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing to the industry average, the firm's growth rate is much lower.
- SGEN has underperformed the S&P 500 Index, declining 9.37% from its price level of one year ago. The fact that the stock is now selling for less than others in its industry in relation to its current earnings is not reason enough to justify a buy rating at this time.
- SEATTLE GENETICS INC has improved earnings per share by 31.6% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. We feel it is likely to report a decline in earnings in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, SEATTLE GENETICS INC reported poor results of -$0.52 versus -$0.47 in the prior year. For the next year, the market is expecting a contraction of 28.8% in earnings (-$0.67 versus -$0.52).
- The company, on the basis of net income growth from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed compared to the Biotechnology industry average, but is greater than that of the S&P 500. The net income increased by 34.3% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from -$23.69 million to -$15.57 million.
- You can view the full Seattle Genetics Ratings Report.