Trade-Ideas LLC identified
) as an unusual social activity candidate. In addition to specific proprietary factors, Trade-Ideas identified Palo Alto Networks as such a stock due to the following factors:
- PANW has 10x the normal benchmarked social activity for this time of the day compared to its average of 19.00 mentions/day.
- PANW has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $395.8 million.
Identifying stocks with 'Unusual Social Activity' tends to be a valuable process for traders looking to capitalize on the 'talk of the town' stocks that are basking in far more attention from the StockTwits financial community than normal. Good press? Bad press? It ultimately doesn't matter if it's good or bad if you know how to trade around the sentiment. Certain hedge funds use such data for their proprietary algorithms and it is not uncommon to see shared social sentiment play itself out in a stock's price trend.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in PANW with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for PANW NOW at Trade-Ideas
More details on PANW:
Palo Alto Networks, Inc. provides enterprise security platform to enterprises, service providers, and government entities worldwide. Currently there are 24 analysts that rate Palo Alto Networks a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and 4 rate it a hold.
The average volume for Palo Alto Networks has been 2.0 million shares per day over the past 30 days. Palo Alto has a market cap of $11.0 billion and is part of the technology sector and computer hardware industry. The stock has a beta of 1.05 and a short float of 5% with 1.65 days to cover. Shares are down 27.4% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Wednesday.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: See inside Jim Cramer's multi-million dollar charitable trust portfolio to see the stocks he thinks could be potential winners. Click here to see his holdings for 14-days FREE.
rates Palo Alto Networks as a
. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its unimpressive growth in net income and generally disappointing historical performance in the stock itself.
Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and greatly underperformed compared to the Communications Equipment industry average. The net income has significantly decreased by 28.7% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from -$30.07 million to -$38.70 million.
- PANW is off 10.10% from its price level of one year ago, reflecting a combination of (a) the general market trend and (b) the company's own weaknesses, including its lower earnings per share compared to the year-earlier quarter. The fact that the stock is now selling for less than others in its industry in relation to its current earnings is not reason enough to justify a buy rating at this time.
- The company's current return on equity greatly increased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of significant strength within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Communications Equipment industry and the overall market, PALO ALTO NETWORKS INC's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- PANW's debt-to-equity ratio of 0.91 is somewhat low overall, but it is high when compared to the industry average, implying that the management of the debt levels should be evaluated further. Regardless of the somewhat mixed results with the debt-to-equity ratio, the company's quick ratio of 0.89 is weak.
- PALO ALTO NETWORKS INC's earnings per share declined by 18.4% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, PALO ALTO NETWORKS INC continued to lose money by earning -$2.02 versus -$3.03 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($1.76 versus -$2.02).
- You can view the full Palo Alto Networks Ratings Report.