Trade-Ideas LLC identified
) as an unusual social activity candidate. In addition to specific proprietary factors, Trade-Ideas identified Medtronic as such a stock due to the following factors:
- MDT has 17x the normal benchmarked social activity for this time of the day compared to its average of 6.97 mentions/day.
- MDT has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $372.9 million.
Identifying stocks with 'Unusual Social Activity' tends to be a valuable process for traders looking to capitalize on the 'talk of the town' stocks that are basking in far more attention from the StockTwits financial community than normal. Good press? Bad press? It ultimately doesn't matter if it's good or bad if you know how to trade around the sentiment. Certain hedge funds use such data for their proprietary algorithms and it is not uncommon to see shared social sentiment play itself out in a stock's price trend.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in MDT with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for MDT NOW at Trade-Ideas
More details on MDT:
Medtronic plc manufactures and sells device-based medical therapies worldwide. The stock currently has a dividend yield of 1.9%. MDT has a PE ratio of 56. Currently there are 14 analysts that rate Medtronic a buy, 1 analyst rates it a sell, and 4 rate it a hold.
The average volume for Medtronic has been 5.3 million shares per day over the past 30 days. Medtronic has a market cap of $147.1 billion and is part of the health care sector and health services industry. The stock has a beta of 1.04 and a short float of 0.9% with 3.01 days to cover. Shares are up 6.2% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Friday.
rates Medtronic as a
. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its robust revenue growth, reasonable valuation levels, increase in net income, good cash flow from operations and largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures. We feel its strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had somewhat disappointing return on equity.
Highlights from the ratings report include:
- MDT's very impressive revenue growth exceeded the industry average of 30.8%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues leaped by 60.6%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- The company, on the basis of net income growth from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly outperformed against the S&P 500 and exceeded that of the Health Care Equipment & Supplies industry average. The net income increased by 12.1% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, going from $977.00 million to $1,095.00 million.
- Net operating cash flow has slightly increased to $1,797.00 million or 1.69% when compared to the same quarter last year. Despite an increase in cash flow, MEDTRONIC PLC's average is still marginally south of the industry average growth rate of 7.78%.
- MDT's debt-to-equity ratio of 0.71 is somewhat low overall, but it is high when compared to the industry average, implying that the management of the debt levels should be evaluated further. Even though the debt-to-equity ratio shows mixed results, the company's quick ratio of 2.72 is very high and demonstrates very strong liquidity.
- You can view the full Medtronic Ratings Report.