Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer.
Trade-Ideas LLC identified
) as a strong and under the radar candidate. In addition to specific proprietary factors, Trade-Ideas identified Hudson City Bancorp as such a stock due to the following factors:
- HCBK has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $23.7 million.
- HCBK has traded 510.836000000000012732925824820995330810546875 options contracts today.
- HCBK is making at least a new 3-day high.
- HCBK has a PE ratio of 43.
- HCBK is mentioned 1.90 times per day on StockTwits.
- HCBK has not yet been mentioned on StockTwits today.
- HCBK is currently in the upper 20% of its 1-year range.
- HCBK is in the upper 35% of its 20-day range.
- HCBK is in the upper 45% of its 5-day range.
- HCBK is currently trading above yesterday's high.
'Strong and Under the Radar' stocks tend to be worthwhile stocks to watch for a variety of factors including historical back testing and price action. Market technicians refer to such stocks as being in an accumulation phase before a mark-up and peak. Traders and hedge funds have frequently found that these types of stocks continue to build a solid price base and then ultimately spike higher and peak when others 'discover' how good the stock is performing. By leveraging the social discovery aspect of StockTwits we are highlighting stocks that don't currently receive much attention from retail investors, but we suspect may soon garner more attention.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in HCBK with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for HCBK NOW at Trade-Ideas
More details on HCBK:
Hudson City Bancorp, Inc. operates as the holding company of Hudson City Savings Bank that provides various banking products and services in the United States. The stock currently has a dividend yield of 1.6%. HCBK has a PE ratio of 43. Currently there are no analysts that rate Hudson City Bancorp a buy, 1 analyst rates it a sell, and 1 rates it a hold.
The average volume for Hudson City Bancorp has been 2.5 million shares per day over the past 30 days. Hudson City has a market cap of $5.5 billion and is part of the financial sector and banking industry. The stock has a beta of 0.67 and a short float of 1.3% with 2.73 days to cover. Shares are up 1.9% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Monday.
rates Hudson City Bancorp as a
. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its expanding profit margins and increase in stock price during the past year. We feel its strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had somewhat weak growth in earnings per share.
Highlights from the ratings report include:
- Regardless of the drop in revenue, the company managed to outperform against the industry average of 11.7%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly dropped by 6.4%. The declining revenue appears to have seeped down to the company's bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.
- 41.74% is the gross profit margin for HUDSON CITY BANCORP INC which we consider to be strong. Regardless of HCBK's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of 11.89% trails the industry average.
- Compared to where it was a year ago today, the stock is now trading at a higher level, regardless of the company's weak earnings results. Looking ahead, the stock's rise over the last year has already helped drive it to a level which is relatively expensive compared to the rest of its industry. We feel, however, that the other strengths this company displays justify these higher price levels.
- The change in net income from the same quarter one year ago has exceeded that of the S&P 500, but is less than that of the Thrifts & Mortgage Finance industry average. The net income has decreased by 9.0% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, dropping from $39.18 million to $35.66 million.
- HUDSON CITY BANCORP INC's earnings per share declined by 12.5% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. Earnings per share have declined over the last two years. We anticipate that this should continue in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, HUDSON CITY BANCORP INC reported lower earnings of $0.32 versus $0.38 in the prior year. For the next year, the market is expecting a contraction of 92.5% in earnings ($0.02 versus $0.32).
- You can view the full Hudson City Bancorp Ratings Report.