Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link.
Trade-Ideas LLC identified
) as a post-market laggard candidate. In addition to specific proprietary factors, Trade-Ideas identified Canadian National Railway as such a stock due to the following factors:
- CNI has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $64.0 million.
- CNI is down 5.1% today from today's close.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in CNI with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for CNI NOW at Trade-Ideas
More details on CNI:
Canadian National Railway Company, together with its subsidiaries, engages in rail and related transportation business in North America. The stock currently has a dividend yield of 1.2%. CNI has a PE ratio of 23.4. Currently there are 7 analysts that rate Canadian National Railway a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and 7 rate it a hold.
The average volume for Canadian National Railway has been 1.3 million shares per day over the past 30 days. Canadian National Railway has a market cap of $60.7 billion and is part of the services sector and transportation industry. Shares are up 30.7% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Wednesday.
rates Canadian National Railway as a
. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, solid stock price performance, impressive record of earnings per share growth, increase in net income and expanding profit margins. Although the company may harbor some minor weaknesses, we feel they are unlikely to have a significant impact on results.
Highlights from the ratings report include:
- CNI's revenue growth has slightly outpaced the industry average of 10.5%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 15.6%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- Investors have apparently begun to recognize positive factors similar to those we have mentioned in this report, including earnings growth. This has helped drive up the company's shares by a sharp 28.09% over the past year, a rise that has exceeded that of the S&P 500 Index. Regarding the stock's future course, although almost any stock can fall in a broad market decline, CNI should continue to move higher despite the fact that it has already enjoyed a very nice gain in the past year.
- CANADIAN NATIONAL RAILWAY CO has improved earnings per share by 24.6% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. We feel that this trend should continue. During the past fiscal year, CANADIAN NATIONAL RAILWAY CO increased its bottom line by earning $3.09 versus $3.06 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($3.65 versus $3.09).
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Road & Rail industry average. The net income increased by 21.0% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, going from $705.00 million to $853.00 million.
- 49.52% is the gross profit margin for CANADIAN NATIONAL RAILWAY CO which we consider to be strong. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of 27.35% is above that of the industry average.
- You can view the full Canadian National Railway Ratings Report.