Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer.
Trade-Ideas LLC identified
) as a "dead cat bounce" (down big yesterday but up big today) candidate. In addition to specific proprietary factors, Trade-Ideas identified Anglogold Ashanti as such a stock due to the following factors:
- AU has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $28.4 million.
- AU has traded 149,740 shares today.
- AU is up 3.6% today.
- AU was down 6.2% yesterday.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in AU with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for AU NOW at Trade-Ideas
More details on AU:
AngloGold Ashanti Limited operates as a gold mining and exploration company. It also produces silver, uranium oxide, copper, molybdenum, and sulphur. The company has 20 operations and exploration projects in South Africa, Continental Africa, Australasia, and the Americas. Currently there are 4 analysts that rate Anglogold Ashanti a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and 1 rates it a hold.
The average volume for Anglogold Ashanti has been 3.1 million shares per day over the past 30 days. Anglogold Ashanti has a market cap of $2.6 billion and is part of the basic materials sector and metals & mining industry. Shares are down 25.6% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Wednesday.
rates Anglogold Ashanti as a
. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its unimpressive growth in net income, generally high debt management risk, weak operating cash flow and generally disappointing historical performance in the stock itself.
Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Metals & Mining industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 102.6% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $39.00 million to -$1.00 million.
- The debt-to-equity ratio of 1.33 is relatively high when compared with the industry average, suggesting a need for better debt level management.
- Net operating cash flow has decreased to $190.00 million or 45.71% when compared to the same quarter last year. Despite a decrease in cash flow of 45.71%, ANGLOGOLD ASHANTI LTD is in line with the industry average cash flow growth rate of -53.97%.
- Despite any intermediate fluctuations, we have only bad news to report on this stock's performance over the last year: it has tumbled by 63.47%, worse than the S&P 500's performance. Consistent with the plunge in the stock price, the company's earnings per share are down 100.00% compared to the year-earlier quarter. Naturally, the overall market trend is bound to be a significant factor. However, in one sense, the stock's sharp decline last year is a positive for future investors, making it cheaper (in proportion to its earnings over the past year) than most other stocks in its industry. But due to other concerns, we feel the stock is still not a good buy right now.
- The company's current return on equity greatly increased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of significant strength within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Metals & Mining industry and the overall market on the basis of return on equity, ANGLOGOLD ASHANTI LTD underperformed against that of the industry average and is significantly less than that of the S&P 500.
- You can view the full Anglogold Ashanti Ratings Report.