Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link.
Trade-Ideas LLC identified
) as a new lifetime high candidate. In addition to specific proprietary factors, Trade-Ideas identified Sonoco Products as such a stock due to the following factors:
- SON has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $18.0 million.
- SON has traded 9,237 shares today.
- SON is trading at a new lifetime high.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in SON with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for SON NOW at Trade-Ideas
More details on SON:
Sonoco Products Company manufactures and sells industrial and consumer packaging products in the United States, Europe, and Canada. The company operates in four segments: Consumer Packaging, Paper and Industrial Converted Products, Display and Packaging, and Protective Solutions. The stock currently has a dividend yield of 2.8%. SON has a PE ratio of 19.7. Currently there is 1 analyst that rates Sonoco Products a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and 8 rate it a hold.
The average volume for Sonoco Products has been 392,500 shares per day over the past 30 days. Sonoco has a market cap of $4.6 billion and is part of the consumer goods sector and consumer non-durables industry. The stock has a beta of 1.02 and a short float of 1.8% with 4.75 days to cover. Shares are up 6.4% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Tuesday.
rates Sonoco Products as a
. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its increase in stock price during the past year, growth in earnings per share, compelling growth in net income, revenue growth and largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company shows weak operating cash flow.
Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The stock has risen over the past year as investors have generally rewarded the company for its earnings growth and other positive factors like the ones we have cited in this report. Looking ahead, unless broad bear market conditions prevail, we still see more upside potential for this stock, despite the fact that it has already risen over the past year.
- SONOCO PRODUCTS CO has improved earnings per share by 16.9% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past year. We feel that this trend should continue. During the past fiscal year, SONOCO PRODUCTS CO increased its bottom line by earning $2.12 versus $1.91 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($2.51 versus $2.12).
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has exceeded that of the S&P 500 and greatly outperformed compared to the Containers & Packaging industry average. The net income increased by 15.8% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, going from $61.24 million to $70.92 million.
- Despite its growing revenue, the company underperformed as compared with the industry average of 5.5%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 2.9%. This growth in revenue appears to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, improving the earnings per share.
- The current debt-to-equity ratio, 0.59, is low and is below the industry average, implying that there has been successful management of debt levels. Along with the favorable debt-to-equity ratio, the company maintains an adequate quick ratio of 1.05, which illustrates the ability to avoid short-term cash problems.
- You can view the full Sonoco Products Ratings Report.