NEW YORK (
) has been downgraded by TheStreet Ratings from buy to hold. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its increase in net income, revenue growth and largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including a generally disappointing performance in the stock itself and disappointing return on equity.
Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Energy Equipment & Services industry. The net income increased by 179.9% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $12.02 million to $33.64 million.
- Despite its growing revenue, the company underperformed as compared with the industry average of 14.4%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 13.9%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- TIDEWATER INC reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, TIDEWATER INC reported lower earnings of $1.72 versus $2.05 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($4.03 versus $1.72).
- TDW has underperformed the S&P 500 Index, declining 13.90% from its price level of one year ago. Looking ahead, we do not see anything in this company's numbers that would change the one-year trend. It was down over the last twelve months; and it could be down again in the next twelve. Naturally, a bull or bear market could sway the movement of this stock.
- The company's current return on equity has slightly decreased from the same quarter one year prior. This implies a minor weakness in the organization. Compared to other companies in the Energy Equipment & Services industry and the overall market, TIDEWATER INC's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
Tidewater Inc., through its subsidiaries, provides offshore service vessels and marine support services to the offshore energy industry through the operation of a fleet of marine service vessels. The company has a P/E ratio of 26.9, equal to the average transportation industry P/E ratio and above the S&P 500 P/E ratio of 17.7. Tidewater has a market cap of $2.35 billion and is part of the
industry. Shares are down 6.2% year to date as of the close of trading on Wednesday.
You can view the full
or get investment ideas from our
-- Written by a member of TheStreet Ratings Staff
TheStreet ratings do not represent the views of TheStreet's staff or its contributors. Ratings are established by computer based on metrics for performance (which includes growth, stock performance, efficiency and valuation) and risk (volatility and solvency). Companies with poor cash flow or high debt levels tend to earn lower ratings in our model.