NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Shares of Tesla Motors (TSLA) - Get Report are declining, lower by 0.38% to $203 in late morning trading Tuesday, on reports that Apple (AAPL) - Get Report may be working on an electric car to challenge the company, Bloomberg reports.
Apple has hired some professionals from the auto industry to work on the early development of an electric vehicle, which would compete against Tesla cars and other electric and hybrid cars by companies like General Motors (GM) - Get Report and Ford Motor (F) - Get Report , Bloomberg added.
The iPhone maker has a secret lab working on the creation of an Apple-branded vehicle that looks like a minivan, the Wall Street Journal reported on Friday.
Exclusive Report:Jim Cramer's Best Stocks for 2015
Palo Alto, CA-based Tesla designs, develops, manufactures and sells electric vehicles and advanced electric vehicle powertrain components. Tesla owns its sales and service network.
Separately, TheStreet Ratings team rates TESLA MOTORS INC as a Sell with a ratings score of D. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:
"We rate TESLA MOTORS INC (TSLA) a SELL. This is driven by a few notable weaknesses, which we believe should have a greater impact than any strengths, and could make it more difficult for investors to achieve positive results compared to most of the stocks we cover. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its deteriorating net income, disappointing return on equity, weak operating cash flow, poor profit margins and feeble growth in its earnings per share."
Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Automobiles industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 561.8% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from -$16.26 million to -$107.63 million.
- Return on equity has greatly decreased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of major weakness within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Automobiles industry and the overall market, TESLA MOTORS INC's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly decreased to -$86.40 million or 166.58% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing to the industry average, the firm's growth rate is much lower.
- The gross profit margin for TESLA MOTORS INC is currently lower than what is desirable, coming in at 34.46%. Regardless of TSLA's low profit margin, it has managed to increase from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, TSLA's net profit margin of -11.25% significantly underperformed when compared to the industry average.
- TESLA MOTORS INC has experienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. The company has reported a trend of declining earnings per share over the past year. However, the consensus estimate suggests that this trend should reverse in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, TESLA MOTORS INC reported poor results of -$2.36 versus -$0.71 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($1.58 versus -$2.36).
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: TSLA Ratings Report