Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link.
Trade-Ideas LLC identified
) as a "storm the castle" (crossing above the 200-day simple moving average on higher than normal relative volume) candidate. In addition to specific proprietary factors, Trade-Ideas identified Tenet Healthcare as such a stock due to the following factors:
- THC has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $68.7 million.
- THC has traded 733,717 shares today.
- THC is trading at 2.32 times the normal volume for the stock at this time of day.
- THC crossed above its 200-day simple moving average.
'Storm the Castle' stocks are worth watching because trading stocks that begin to experience a breakout can lead to potentially massive profits. Once psychological and technical resistance barriers like the 200-day moving average are breached on higher than normal relative volume, the stock is then free to find new buyers and momentum traders who can ultimately push the stock significantly higher. Regardless of the impetus behind the price and volume action, when a stock moves with strength and volume it can indicate the start of a new trend on which early investors can capitalize on. In the event of a well-timed trading opportunity, combining technical indicators with fundamental trends and a disciplined trading methodology should help you take the first steps towards investment success.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in THC with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for THC NOW at Trade-Ideas
More details on THC:
Tenet Healthcare Corporation, an investor-owned health care services company, primarily operates acute care hospitals and related health care facilities in the United States. Currently there are 7 analysts that rate Tenet Healthcare a buy, 1 analyst rates it a sell, and 7 rate it a hold.
The average volume for Tenet Healthcare has been 1.8 million shares per day over the past 30 days. Tenet Healthcare has a market cap of $3.9 billion and is part of the health care sector and health services industry. The stock has a beta of 1.62 and a short float of 11.8% with 6.07 days to cover. Shares are down 0.2% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Wednesday.
rates Tenet Healthcare as a
. Among the primary strengths of the company is its robust revenue growth -- not just in the most recent periods but in previous quarters as well. At the same time, however, we also find weaknesses including deteriorating net income, generally higher debt management risk and disappointing return on equity.
Highlights from the ratings report include:
- THC's very impressive revenue growth greatly exceeded the industry average of 10.5%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues leaped by 66.7%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- TENET HEALTHCARE CORP has experienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. The company has reported a trend of declining earnings per share over the past year. However, the consensus estimate suggests that this trend should reverse in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, TENET HEALTHCARE CORP swung to a loss, reporting -$1.20 versus $1.72 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($1.28 versus -$1.20).
- In its most recent trading session, THC has closed at a price level that was not very different from its closing price of one year earlier. This is probably due to its weak earnings growth as well as other mixed factors. The fact that the stock is now selling for less than others in its industry in relation to its current earnings is not reason enough to justify a buy rating at this time.
- Return on equity has greatly decreased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of major weakness within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Health Care Providers & Services industry and the overall market, TENET HEALTHCARE CORP's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- The gross profit margin for TENET HEALTHCARE CORP is currently extremely low, coming in at 11.43%. It has decreased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of -0.61% trails that of the industry average.
- You can view the full Tenet Healthcare Ratings Report.