Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link.
Trade-Ideas LLC identified
) as a weak on high relative volume candidate. In addition to specific proprietary factors, Trade-Ideas identified Swift Energy as such a stock due to the following factors:
- SFY has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $12.6 million.
- SFY has traded 152,629 shares today.
- SFY is trading at 2.03 times the normal volume for the stock at this time of day.
- SFY is trading at a new low 5.04% below yesterday's close.
'Weak on High Relative Volume' stocks are worth watching because major volume moves tend to indicate underlying activity such as material stock news, analyst downgrades, insider selling, selling from 'superinvestors,' or that hedge funds and traders are piling out of a stock ahead of a catalyst. Regardless of the impetus behind the price and volume action, when a stock moves with strength and volume it can indicate the start of a new trend on which early investors can capitalize (or avoid losses by trimming weak positions). In the event of a well-timed trading opportunity, combining technical indicators with fundamental trends and a disciplined trading methodology should help you take the first steps towards investment success.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in SFY with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for SFY NOW at Trade-Ideas
More details on SFY:
Swift Energy Company is engaged in acquiring, exploring, developing, and operating oil and natural gas properties. It focuses on oil and natural gas reserves in Texas, as well as onshore and in the inland waters of Louisiana. Currently there are 2 analysts that rate Swift Energy a buy, 1 analyst rates it a sell, and 6 rate it a hold.
The average volume for Swift Energy has been 1.8 million shares per day over the past 30 days. Swift Energy has a market cap of $312.2 million and is part of the basic materials sector and energy industry. The stock has a beta of 2.56 and a short float of 35.9% with 7.73 days to cover. Shares are down 50.1% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Thursday.
rates Swift Energy as a
. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its generally high debt management risk, disappointing return on equity and generally disappointing historical performance in the stock itself.
Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The debt-to-equity ratio of 1.12 is relatively high when compared with the industry average, suggesting a need for better debt level management. Along with this, the company manages to maintain a quick ratio of 0.37, which clearly demonstrates the inability to cover short-term cash needs.
- The company's current return on equity has slightly decreased from the same quarter one year prior. This implies a minor weakness in the organization. Compared to other companies in the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry and the overall market, SWIFT ENERGY CO's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- SFY's stock share price has done very poorly compared to where it was a year ago: Despite any rallies, the net result is that it is down by 47.11%, which is also worse that the performance of the S&P 500 Index. Investors have so far failed to pay much attention to the earnings improvements the company has managed to achieve over the last quarter. Naturally, the overall market trend is bound to be a significant factor. However, in one sense, the stock's sharp decline last year is a positive for future investors, making it cheaper (in proportion to its earnings over the past year) than most other stocks in its industry. But due to other concerns, we feel the stock is still not a good buy right now.
- SWIFT ENERGY CO has improved earnings per share by 20.0% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, SWIFT ENERGY CO swung to a loss, reporting -$0.44 versus $0.48 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($0.16 versus -$0.44).
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has exceeded that of the S&P 500, but is less than that of the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry average. The net income increased by 19.6% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, going from $6.72 million to $8.04 million.
- You can view the full Swift Energy Ratings Report.