Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link.
Trade-Ideas LLC identified
) as a post-market laggard candidate. In addition to specific proprietary factors, Trade-Ideas identified SunPower Corporation as such a stock due to the following factors:
- SPWR has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $113.0 million.
- SPWR is down 2.7% today from today's close.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in SPWR with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for SPWR NOW at Trade-Ideas
More details on SPWR:
SunPower Corporation, an integrated solar products and solutions company, designs, manufactures, and delivers solar electric systems for residential, commercial, and utility-scale power plant customers worldwide. Currently there are 4 analysts that rate SunPower Corporation a buy, 1 analyst rates it a sell, and 5 rate it a hold.
The average volume for SunPower Corporation has been 3.6 million shares per day over the past 30 days. SunPower has a market cap of $2.9 billion and is part of the technology sector and electronics industry. The stock has a beta of 3.49 and a short float of 28.4% with 3.24 days to cover. Shares are up 329.2% year to date as of the close of trading on Friday.
rates SunPower Corporation as a
. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its solid stock price performance, impressive record of earnings per share growth and compelling growth in net income. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including poor profit margins, weak operating cash flow and generally higher debt management risk.
Highlights from the ratings report include:
- Powered by its strong earnings growth of 121.12% and other important driving factors, this stock has surged by 675.28% over the past year, outperforming the rise in the S&P 500 Index during the same period. Regarding the stock's future course, our hold rating indicates that we do not recommend additional investment in this stock despite its gains in the past year.
- SUNPOWER CORP reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past year. We feel that this trend should continue. This trend suggests that the performance of the business is improving. During the past fiscal year, SUNPOWER CORP continued to lose money by earning -$3.01 versus -$6.14 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($1.20 versus -$3.01).
- Regardless of the drop in revenue, the company managed to outperform against the industry average of 9.0%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly dropped by 3.3%. The declining revenue has not hurt the company's bottom line, with increasing earnings per share.
- The debt-to-equity ratio of 1.04 is relatively high when compared with the industry average, suggesting a need for better debt level management. Even though the debt-to-equity ratio is weak, SPWR's quick ratio is somewhat strong at 1.02, demonstrating the ability to handle short-term liquidity needs.
- The gross profit margin for SUNPOWER CORP is rather low; currently it is at 22.97%. Regardless of SPWR's low profit margin, it has managed to increase from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, SPWR's net profit margin of 3.39% is significantly lower than the industry average.
- You can view the full SunPower Corporation Ratings Report.