NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Shares of SunEdison (SUNE) are rallying 4.48% to $30.77 in Friday's afternoon trading session after the solar project developer sealed a deal with the electricity supply company Southern California Edison to install 33 megawatts of rooftop solar.
"We are very pleased to be working with Southern California Edison to modernize and upgrade the utility grid," SunEdison's managing director Sam Youneszadeh said.
"As this project demonstrates, solar systems can be sized and strategically located to provide maximum benefit to both the utility grid and California homeowners and businesses," he added.
Scheduled to be operational in 2016, the 33 megawatts of rooftop solar will be spread across 17 rooftop solar projects located in industrial sections of Orange, Riverside, San Bernardino, and Los Angeles Counties, the company said.
TheStreet Ratings team rates SUNEDISON INC as a Hold with a ratings score of C. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:
"We rate SUNEDISON INC (SUNE) a HOLD. The primary factors that have impacted our rating are mixed, some indicating strength, some showing weaknesses, with little evidence to justify the expectation of either a positive or negative performance for this stock relative to most other stocks. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its solid stock price performance, compelling growth in net income and expanding profit margins. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including generally higher debt management risk and weak operating cash flow."
Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- Powered by its strong earnings growth of 59.11% and other important driving factors, this stock has surged by 58.82% over the past year, outperforming the rise in the S&P 500 Index during the same period. Regarding the stock's future course, our hold rating indicates that we do not recommend additional investment in this stock despite its gains in the past year.
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Semiconductors & Semiconductor Equipment industry. The net income increased by 39.4% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from -$614.00 million to -$372.00 million.
- Compared to other companies in the Semiconductors & Semiconductor Equipment industry and the overall market, SUNEDISON INC's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- The debt-to-equity ratio is very high at 77.64 and currently higher than the industry average, implying increased risk associated with the management of debt levels within the company. Along with this, the company manages to maintain a quick ratio of 0.37, which clearly demonstrates the inability to cover short-term cash needs.
- Net operating cash flow has decreased to -$308.00 million or 43.12% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing to the industry average, the firm's growth rate is much lower.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: SUNE Ratings Report