Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link.
Trade-Ideas LLC identified
) as a pre-market leader candidate. In addition to specific proprietary factors, Trade-Ideas identified Tesla Motors as such a stock due to the following factors:
- TSLA has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $1.0 billion.
- TSLA traded 166,865 shares today in the pre-market hours as of 9:02 AM.
- TSLA is up 2% today from yesterday's close.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in TSLA with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for TSLA NOW at Trade-Ideas
More details on TSLA:
Tesla Motors, Inc. designs, develops, manufactures, and sells electric vehicles and electric vehicle powertrain components. Currently there are 7 analysts that rate Tesla Motors a buy, 1 analyst rates it a sell, and 5 rate it a hold.
The average volume for Tesla Motors has been 5.5 million shares per day over the past 30 days. Tesla has a market cap of $32.6 billion and is part of the consumer goods sector and automotive industry. The stock has a beta of 1.36 and a short float of 26.8% with 5.96 days to cover. Shares are up 75% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Wednesday.
rates Tesla Motors as a
. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its robust revenue growth, solid stock price performance and notable return on equity. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including unimpressive growth in net income, generally higher debt management risk and poor profit margins.
Highlights from the ratings report include:
- TSLA's very impressive revenue growth greatly exceeded the industry average of 11.1%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues leaped by 89.9%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- Compared to its closing price of one year ago, TSLA's share price has jumped by 72.01%, exceeding the performance of the broader market during that same time frame. Regarding the stock's future course, our hold rating indicates that we do not recommend additional investment in this stock despite its gains in the past year.
- TESLA MOTORS INC has experienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, TESLA MOTORS INC continued to lose money by earning -$0.71 versus -$3.70 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($1.14 versus -$0.71).
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Automobiles industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 102.9% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from -$30.50 million to -$61.90 million.
- The debt-to-equity ratio is very high at 2.57 and currently higher than the industry average, implying increased risk associated with the management of debt levels within the company.
- You can view the full Tesla Motors Ratings Report.