Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link.
Trade-Ideas LLC identified
) as a strong on high relative volume candidate. In addition to specific proprietary factors, Trade-Ideas identified Primero Mining as such a stock due to the following factors:
- PPP has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $2.7 million.
- PPP has traded 87,066 shares today.
- PPP is trading at 4.53 times the normal volume for the stock at this time of day.
- PPP is trading at a new high 3.04% above yesterday's close.
'Strong on High Relative Volume' stocks are worth watching because major volume moves tend to indicate underlying activity such as M&A events, material stock news, analyst upgrades, insider buying, buying from 'superinvestors,' or that hedge funds and momentum traders are piling into a stock ahead of a catalyst. Regardless of the impetus behind the price and volume action, when a stock moves with strength and volume it can indicate the start of a new trend on which early investors can capitalize. In the event of a well-timed trading opportunity, combining technical indicators with fundamental trends and a disciplined trading methodology should help you take the first steps towards investment success.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in PPP with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for PPP NOW at Trade-Ideas
More details on PPP:
Primero Mining Corp., a precious metals producer, is engaged in the acquisition, exploration, development, and production of precious metal properties in Canada and Mexico. The company explores for gold and silver. Currently there are 6 analysts that rate Primero Mining a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and 1 rates it a hold.
The average volume for Primero Mining has been 645,800 shares per day over the past 30 days. Primero has a market cap of $917.7 million and is part of the basic materials sector and metals & mining industry. Shares are up 26.1% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Friday.
rates Primero Mining as a
. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its robust revenue growth, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures and good cash flow from operations. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including feeble growth in the company's earnings per share, deteriorating net income and disappointing return on equity.
Highlights from the ratings report include:
- PPP's very impressive revenue growth greatly exceeded the industry average of 0.6%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues leaped by 51.8%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- PPP's debt-to-equity ratio is very low at 0.09 and is currently below that of the industry average, implying that there has been very successful management of debt levels. Along with the favorable debt-to-equity ratio, the company maintains an adequate quick ratio of 1.19, which illustrates the ability to avoid short-term cash problems.
- Compared to where it was 12 months ago, the stock is up, but it has so far lagged the appreciation in the S&P 500. Despite the fact that it has already risen in the past year, there is currently no conclusive evidence that warrants the purchase or sale of this stock.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Metals & Mining industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 86.5% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $4.24 million to $0.57 million.
- Current return on equity is lower than its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a clear sign of weakness within the company. Compared to other companies in the Metals & Mining industry and the overall market on the basis of return on equity, PRIMERO MINING CORP underperformed against that of the industry average and is significantly less than that of the S&P 500.
- You can view the full Primero Mining Ratings Report.