Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link.
Trade-Ideas LLC identified
) as a strong on high relative volume candidate. In addition to specific proprietary factors, Trade-Ideas identified Isis Pharmaceuticals as such a stock due to the following factors:
- ISIS has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $47.5 million.
- ISIS has traded 234,904 shares today.
- ISIS is trading at 2.89 times the normal volume for the stock at this time of day.
- ISIS is trading at a new high 4.02% above yesterday's close.
'Strong on High Relative Volume' stocks are worth watching because major volume moves tend to indicate underlying activity such as M&A events, material stock news, analyst upgrades, insider buying, buying from 'superinvestors,' or that hedge funds and momentum traders are piling into a stock ahead of a catalyst. Regardless of the impetus behind the price and volume action, when a stock moves with strength and volume it can indicate the start of a new trend on which early investors can capitalize. In the event of a well-timed trading opportunity, combining technical indicators with fundamental trends and a disciplined trading methodology should help you take the first steps towards investment success.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in ISIS with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for ISIS NOW at Trade-Ideas
More details on ISIS:
Isis Pharmaceuticals, Inc. is engaged in the discovery and development of antisense drugs using novel drug discovery platform. Currently there are 4 analysts that rate Isis Pharmaceuticals a buy, 1 analyst rates it a sell, and 2 rate it a hold.
The average volume for Isis Pharmaceuticals has been 2.1 million shares per day over the past 30 days. Isis has a market cap of $4.0 billion and is part of the health care sector and drugs industry. The stock has a beta of 1.67 and a short float of 11.9% with 9.75 days to cover. Shares are down 13.8% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Friday.
rates Isis Pharmaceuticals as a
. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its deteriorating net income, disappointing return on equity, weak operating cash flow and feeble growth in its earnings per share.
Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and greatly underperformed compared to the Biotechnology industry average. The net income has decreased by 19.3% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, dropping from -$10.13 million to -$12.08 million.
- Return on equity has greatly decreased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of major weakness within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Biotechnology industry and the overall market, ISIS PHARMACEUTICALS INC's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly decreased to -$34.02 million or 249.58% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing to the industry average, the firm's growth rate is much lower.
- ISIS PHARMACEUTICALS INC's earnings per share declined by 11.1% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. We feel it is likely to report a decline in earnings in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, ISIS PHARMACEUTICALS INC continued to lose money by earning -$0.53 versus -$0.65 in the prior year. For the next year, the market is expecting a contraction of 47.2% in earnings (-$0.78 versus -$0.53).
- Despite currently having a low debt-to-equity ratio of 0.44, it is higher than that of the industry average, inferring that management of debt levels may need to be evaluated further. Even though the debt-to-equity ratio shows mixed results, the company's quick ratio of 6.86 is very high and demonstrates very strong liquidity.
- You can view the full Isis Pharmaceuticals Ratings Report.