Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link.
Trade-Ideas LLC identified
) as a strong on high relative volume candidate. In addition to specific proprietary factors, Trade-Ideas identified Emerald Oil as such a stock due to the following factors:
- EOX has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $6.2 million.
- EOX has traded 68,234 shares today.
- EOX is trading at 2.27 times the normal volume for the stock at this time of day.
- EOX is trading at a new high 3.05% above yesterday's close.
'Strong on High Relative Volume' stocks are worth watching because major volume moves tend to indicate underlying activity such as M&A events, material stock news, analyst upgrades, insider buying, buying from 'superinvestors,' or that hedge funds and momentum traders are piling into a stock ahead of a catalyst. Regardless of the impetus behind the price and volume action, when a stock moves with strength and volume it can indicate the start of a new trend on which early investors can capitalize. In the event of a well-timed trading opportunity, combining technical indicators with fundamental trends and a disciplined trading methodology should help you take the first steps towards investment success.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in EOX with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for EOX NOW at Trade-Ideas
More details on EOX:
Emerald Oil, Inc. operates as an independent oil and natural gas exploration and production company in the United States. Currently there are 8 analysts that rate Emerald Oil a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and 1 rates it a hold.
The average volume for Emerald Oil has been 1.2 million shares per day over the past 30 days. Emerald Oil has a market cap of $549.8 million and is part of the basic materials sector and energy industry. The stock has a beta of 2.18 and a short float of 25.4% with 21.64 days to cover. Shares are up 7.2% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Friday.
rates Emerald Oil as a
. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its robust revenue growth, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures and solid stock price performance. However, as a counter to these strengths, we find that the growth in the company's net income has been quite unimpressive.
Highlights from the ratings report include:
- EOX's very impressive revenue growth greatly exceeded the industry average of 2.4%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues leaped by 118.8%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- The current debt-to-equity ratio, 0.51, is low and is below the industry average, implying that there has been successful management of debt levels. To add to this, EOX has a quick ratio of 1.64, which demonstrates the ability of the company to cover short-term liquidity needs.
- The gross profit margin for EMERALD OIL INC is currently very high, coming in at 70.32%. Regardless of EOX's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, EOX's net profit margin of -7.92% significantly underperformed when compared to the industry average.
- The company's current return on equity greatly increased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of significant strength within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry and the overall market, EMERALD OIL INC's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and greatly underperformed compared to the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry average. The net income has decreased by 13.2% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, dropping from -$1.72 million to -$1.95 million.
- You can view the full Emerald Oil Ratings Report.