Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link.
Trade-Ideas LLC identified
) as a strong and under the radar candidate. In addition to specific proprietary factors, Trade-Ideas identified Qiagen as such a stock due to the following factors:
- QGEN has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $21.0 million.
- QGEN is making at least a new 3-day high.
- QGEN has a PE ratio of 85.9.
- QGEN is mentioned 1.97 times per day on StockTwits.
- QGEN has not yet been mentioned on StockTwits today.
- QGEN is currently in the upper 20% of its 1-year range.
- QGEN is in the upper 35% of its 20-day range.
- QGEN is in the upper 45% of its 5-day range.
- QGEN is currently trading above yesterday's high.
'Strong and Under the Radar' stocks tend to be worthwhile stocks to watch for a variety of factors including historical back testing and price action. Market technicians refer to such stocks as being in an accumulation phase before a mark-up and peak. Traders and hedge funds have frequently found that these types of stocks continue to build a solid price base and then ultimately spike higher and peak when others 'discover' how good the stock is performing. By leveraging the social discovery aspect of StockTwits we are highlighting stocks that don't currently receive much attention from retail investors, but we suspect may soon garner more attention.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in QGEN with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for QGEN NOW at Trade-Ideas
More details on QGEN:
QIAGEN N.V. provides sample and assay technologies worldwide. It offers approximately consumable products, such as sample and assay kits, and automated instrumentation systems that empower customers to transform raw biological samples into molecular information. QGEN has a PE ratio of 85.9. Currently there are 3 analysts that rate Qiagen a buy, 1 analyst rates it a sell, and 10 rate it a hold.
The average volume for Qiagen has been 858,900 shares per day over the past 30 days. Qiagen has a market cap of $5.8 billion and is part of the services sector and diversified services industry. Shares are up 5.7% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Wednesday.
rates Qiagen as a
. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures, expanding profit margins, notable return on equity and increase in stock price during the past year. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had sub par growth in net income.
Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The current debt-to-equity ratio, 0.44, is low and is below the industry average, implying that there has been successful management of debt levels. To add to this, QGEN has a quick ratio of 2.02, which demonstrates the ability of the company to cover short-term liquidity needs.
- QIAGEN NV has experienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, QIAGEN NV increased its bottom line by earning $0.49 versus $0.28 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($1.13 versus $0.49).
- The gross profit margin for QIAGEN NV is rather high; currently it is at 57.35%. Despite the high profit margin, it has decreased significantly from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of 7.17% trails the industry average.
- QGEN, with its decline in revenue, underperformed when compared the industry average of 16.4%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly dropped by 0.2%. Weakness in the company's revenue seems to have hurt the bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.
- Compared to where it was a year ago today, the stock is now trading at a higher level, regardless of the company's weak earnings results. Looking ahead, the stock's rise over the last year has already helped drive it to a level which is relatively expensive compared to the rest of its industry. We feel, however, that the other strengths this company displays justify these higher price levels.
- You can view the full Qiagen Ratings Report.