Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link.
Trade-Ideas LLC identified
) as a strong and under the radar candidate. In addition to specific proprietary factors, Trade-Ideas identified Belden as such a stock due to the following factors:
- BDC has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $21.5 million.
- BDC is making at least a new 3-day high.
- BDC has a PE ratio of 45.2.
- BDC is mentioned 0.77 times per day on StockTwits.
- BDC has not yet been mentioned on StockTwits today.
- BDC is currently in the upper 20% of its 1-year range.
- BDC is in the upper 35% of its 20-day range.
- BDC is in the upper 45% of its 5-day range.
- BDC is currently trading above yesterday's high.
'Strong and Under the Radar' stocks tend to be worthwhile stocks to watch for a variety of factors including historical back testing and price action. Market technicians refer to such stocks as being in an accumulation phase before a mark-up and peak. Traders and hedge funds have frequently found that these types of stocks continue to build a solid price base and then ultimately spike higher and peak when others 'discover' how good the stock is performing. By leveraging the social discovery aspect of StockTwits we are highlighting stocks that don't currently receive much attention from retail investors, but we suspect may soon garner more attention.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in BDC with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for BDC NOW at Trade-Ideas
More details on BDC:
Belden Inc. designs, manufactures, and markets signal transmission solutions used in broadcast, enterprise, and industrial applications. It operates in four segments: Broadcast Solutions, Enterprise Connectivity Solutions, Industrial Connectivity Solutions, and Industrial IT Solutions. The stock currently has a dividend yield of 0.2%. BDC has a PE ratio of 45.2. Currently there are 3 analysts that rate Belden a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and 2 rate it a hold.
The average volume for Belden has been 336,200 shares per day over the past 30 days. Belden has a market cap of $3.6 billion and is part of the industrial goods sector and industrial industry. Shares are up 5.2% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Friday.
rates Belden as a
. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, growth in earnings per share, expanding profit margins, solid stock price performance and increase in net income. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had somewhat disappointing return on equity.
Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The revenue growth came in higher than the industry average of 3.3%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 16.9%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- BELDEN INC has improved earnings per share by 18.5% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past year. We feel that this trend should continue. During the past fiscal year, BELDEN INC increased its bottom line by earning $2.34 versus $0.92 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($4.22 versus $2.34).
- 39.07% is the gross profit margin for BELDEN INC which we consider to be strong. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Regardless of the strong results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of 5.54% trails the industry average.
- Investors have apparently begun to recognize positive factors similar to those we have mentioned in this report, including earnings growth. This has helped drive up the company's shares by a sharp 30.39% over the past year, a rise that has exceeded that of the S&P 500 Index. We feel that the stock's sharp appreciation over the last year has driven it to a price level which is now somewhat expensive compared to the rest of its industry. The other strengths this company shows, however, justify the higher price levels.
- The company, on the basis of net income growth from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed compared to the Electronic Equipment, Instruments & Components industry average, but is greater than that of the S&P 500. The net income increased by 16.4% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, going from $29.07 million to $33.85 million.
- You can view the full Belden Ratings Report.