NEW YORK (
) has been upgraded by TheStreet Ratings from hold to buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures, solid stock price performance, impressive record of earnings per share growth and compelling growth in net income. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company shows low profit margins.
- ACTIVE STOCK TRADERS: Check out TheStreet's special offer for Real Money, headlined by Jim Cramer, now!
Highlights from the ratings report include:
- STC's revenue growth has slightly outpaced the industry average of 13.1%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 18.3%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- STC's debt-to-equity ratio is very low at 0.15 and is currently below that of the industry average, implying that there has been very successful management of debt levels.
- Powered by its strong earnings growth of 275.00% and other important driving factors, this stock has surged by 50.24% over the past year, outperforming the rise in the S&P 500 Index during the same period. Regarding the stock's future course, although almost any stock can fall in a broad market decline, STC should continue to move higher despite the fact that it has already enjoyed a very nice gain in the past year.
- STEWART INFORMATION SERVICES reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. We feel that this trend should continue. During the past fiscal year, STEWART INFORMATION SERVICES turned its bottom line around by earning $0.06 versus -$0.85 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($0.55 versus $0.06).
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Insurance industry. The net income increased by 319.4% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $5.94 million to $24.91 million.
Stewart Information Services Corporation provides title insurance and real estate related services. It operates in two segments, Title Insurance-Related Services and Real Estate Information. The company has a P/E ratio of 331.8, above the S&P 500 P/E ratio of 17.7. Stewart Information Services has a market cap of $243 million and is part of the
industry. Shares are up 33.3% year to date as of the close of trading on Friday.
You can view the full
or get investment ideas from our
-- Written by a member of TheStreet Ratings Staff
TheStreet ratings do not represent the views of TheStreet's staff or its contributors. Ratings are established by computer based on metrics for performance (which includes growth, stock performance, efficiency and valuation) and risk (volatility and solvency). Companies with poor cash flow or high debt levels tend to earn lower ratings in our model.