Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link.
Trade-Ideas LLC identified
) as a "dead cat bounce" (down big yesterday but up big today) candidate. In addition to specific proprietary factors, Trade-Ideas identified SINA as such a stock due to the following factors:
- SINA has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $138.4 million.
- SINA has traded 1.4 million shares today.
- SINA is up 3.2% today.
- SINA was down 10.1% yesterday.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in SINA with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for SINA NOW at Trade-Ideas
More details on SINA:
SINA Corporation, through its subsidiaries, operates as an online media company in the People's Republic of China. SINA has a PE ratio of 60.6. Currently there are 7 analysts that rate SINA a buy, 1 analyst rates it a sell, and 4 rate it a hold.
The average volume for SINA has been 4.2 million shares per day over the past 30 days. SINA has a market cap of $3.2 billion and is part of the technology sector and internet industry. The stock has a beta of 2.21 and a short float of 4.9% with 1.02 days to cover. Shares are down 48.9% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Thursday.
rates SINA as a
. Among the areas we feel are negative, one of the most important has been a generally disappointing historical performance in the stock itself.
Highlights from the ratings report include:
- SINA has underperformed the S&P 500 Index, declining 20.14% from its price level of one year ago. Looking ahead, we do not see anything in this company's numbers that would change the one-year trend. It was down over the last twelve months; and it could be down again in the next twelve. Naturally, a bull or bear market could sway the movement of this stock.
- The return on equity has improved slightly when compared to the same quarter one year prior. This can be construed as a modest strength in the organization. Compared to other companies in the Internet Software & Services industry and the overall market, SINA CORP's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- SINA's debt-to-equity ratio of 0.67 is somewhat low overall, but it is high when compared to the industry average, implying that the management of the debt levels should be evaluated further. Even though the debt-to-equity ratio shows mixed results, the company's quick ratio of 6.28 is very high and demonstrates very strong liquidity.
- The gross profit margin for SINA CORP is rather high; currently it is at 64.30%. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of 22.56% is above that of the industry average.
- SINA CORP reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. We feel that this trend should continue. This trend suggests that the performance of the business is improving. During the past fiscal year, SINA CORP increased its bottom line by earning $0.59 versus $0.45 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($1.55 versus $0.59).
- You can view the full SINA Ratings Report.