Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer.
Trade-Ideas LLC identified
) as a strong on high relative volume candidate. In addition to specific proprietary factors, Trade-Ideas identified Silver Standard Resources as such a stock due to the following factors:
- SSRI has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $11.3 million.
- SSRI has traded 198,622 shares today.
- SSRI is trading at 2.23 times the normal volume for the stock at this time of day.
- SSRI is trading at a new high 4.04% above yesterday's close.
'Strong on High Relative Volume' stocks are worth watching because major volume moves tend to indicate underlying activity such as M&A events, material stock news, analyst upgrades, insider buying, buying from 'superinvestors,' or that hedge funds and momentum traders are piling into a stock ahead of a catalyst. Regardless of the impetus behind the price and volume action, when a stock moves with strength and volume it can indicate the start of a new trend on which early investors can capitalize. In the event of a well-timed trading opportunity, combining technical indicators with fundamental trends and a disciplined trading methodology should help you take the first steps towards investment success.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in SSRI with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for SSRI NOW at Trade-Ideas
More details on SSRI:
Silver Standard Resources Inc. engages in the acquisition, exploration, development, and operation of precious metal mineral properties in the Americas. The company primarily explores for silver, gold, zinc, and lead deposits. Currently there are no analysts that rate Silver Standard Resources a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and 1 rates it a hold.
The average volume for Silver Standard Resources has been 1.4 million shares per day over the past 30 days. Silver Standard has a market cap of $468.4 million and is part of the basic materials sector and metals & mining industry. Shares are up 13.9% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Thursday.
rates Silver Standard Resources as a
. Among the areas we feel are negative, one of the most important has been a generally disappointing historical performance in the stock itself.
Highlights from the ratings report include:
- SSRI's stock share price has done very poorly compared to where it was a year ago: Despite any rallies, the net result is that it is down by 40.65%, which is also worse that the performance of the S&P 500 Index. Investors have so far failed to pay much attention to the earnings improvements the company has managed to achieve over the last quarter. Naturally, the overall market trend is bound to be a significant factor. However, in one sense, the stock's sharp decline last year is a positive for future investors, making it cheaper (in proportion to its earnings over the past year) than most other stocks in its industry. But due to other concerns, we feel the stock is still not a good buy right now.
- The company's current return on equity greatly increased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of significant strength within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Metals & Mining industry and the overall market, SILVER STANDARD RES INC's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- 41.86% is the gross profit margin for SILVER STANDARD RES INC which we consider to be strong. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Regardless of the strong results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of 8.14% trails the industry average.
- SILVER STANDARD RES INC reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past year. During the past fiscal year, SILVER STANDARD RES INC continued to lose money by earning -$1.51 versus -$2.79 in the prior year.
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Metals & Mining industry. The net income increased by 173.1% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from -$12.44 million to $9.10 million.
- You can view the full Silver Standard Resources Ratings Report.