Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link.
Trade-Ideas LLC identified
) as a pre-market leader candidate. In addition to specific proprietary factors, Trade-Ideas identified Shire as such a stock due to the following factors:
- SHPG has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $169.3 million.
- SHPG traded 12,205 shares today in the pre-market hours as of 8:44 AM.
- SHPG is up 2.2% today from Friday's close.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in SHPG with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for SHPG NOW at Trade-Ideas
More details on SHPG:
Shire plc, a biopharmaceutical company, together with its subsidiaries, researches, develops, licenses, manufactures, markets, distributes, and sells pharmaceutical products. The stock currently has a dividend yield of 0.4%. SHPG has a PE ratio of 42.3. Currently there are 8 analysts that rate Shire a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and 4 rate it a hold.
The average volume for Shire has been 571,700 shares per day over the past 30 days. Shire has a market cap of $33.0 billion and is part of the health care sector and drugs industry. Shares are up 15% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Friday.
rates Shire as a
. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures, notable return on equity, solid stock price performance and impressive record of earnings per share growth. Although no company is perfect, currently we do not see any significant weaknesses which are likely to detract from the generally positive outlook.
Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The revenue growth came in higher than the industry average of 1.4%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 9.5%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- SHPG has no debt to speak of therefore resulting in a debt-to-equity ratio of zero, which we consider to be a relatively favorable sign. To add to this, SHPG has a quick ratio of 1.89, which demonstrates the ability of the company to cover short-term liquidity needs.
- Current return on equity exceeded its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a clear sign of strength within the company. When compared to other companies in the Pharmaceuticals industry and the overall market, SHIRE PLC's return on equity exceeds that of the industry average and significantly exceeds that of the S&P 500.
- Powered by its strong earnings growth of 1172.72% and other important driving factors, this stock has surged by 80.76% over the past year, outperforming the rise in the S&P 500 Index during the same period. Turning to the future, naturally, any stock can fall in a major bear market. However, in almost any other environment, the stock should continue to move higher despite the fact that it has already enjoyed nice gains in the past year.
- SHIRE PLC reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. We feel that this trend should continue. During the past fiscal year, SHIRE PLC increased its bottom line by earning $7.36 versus $3.89 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($9.48 versus $7.36).
- You can view the full Shire Ratings Report.